• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

atgcpaul's 2013 shop thread

I posted this in the other thread but hope it's OK to start a new one so I can have an online "diary" place so I can keep track of my progress.

--I started 2013 by running two new 20A circuits to the ceiling of my shop and this weekend mounted 2 quartz heaters.

--I'm still struggling to finish off daughter #2's dresser. So close. After I finish that dresser, I promise not to start another project and give the shop a really good cleaning. All the stuff that is covering my assembly table, TS, and chopsaw bench need to get cleared off. First I'll try to put everything in its place and everything else that doesn't fit will get tossed into clear bins for another day/year. The bins are ready.

--The corner of the shop nearest the door is where all the garden tools and supplies live. I troll CL for a deal on one of those tall/skinny Rubbermaid storage sheds so I can store the tools outside. I bought a low profile one during Black Friday and now the lawnmower and other crap live outside. I have two 6' tall shelves that could be used to store shop stuff, not garden tools.

--I've tried to go vertical for storage. My shop/garage has 10+ ft ceilings. Already have one MTN bike on a hoist as well as a canoe on a hoist. My ladders are also on a ceiling hoist. I need to put one more bike up on the ceiling, but ceiling storage is getting to be a premium because of the 2 garage door openers and the air cleaner. I'm seriously considering taking down one of the openers, but don't like the prospect of putting it back up at some point. I really should because one door opens (under manual power) maybe 5 times a year and the other hasn't been opened for 3-4 years.

--I inherited my Uncle's midi lathe. The motor and tailstock are in the shop and the leg set is in my basement. I already have an unused mini-lathe still in the box in my basement. I'm going to see if my cousins want the lathe back or would be OK with me selling it and I'd donate the proceeds to one of my Uncle's preferred charities.

--Someone also gave me a spare 60 gallon air compressor. I want to turn that into my primary compressor but need to figure out where to keep it. It's taking up shop floor space. I don't run a lot of air tools--maybe a brad nailer here and there--but I do want to do more spray finishing and already have a conversion gun. My 5 gallon could stay under my workbench but if I moved it out, I would gain that space back for storage. Either keep the 5 gallon in the house or give it to my dad. Maybe once the garden tools are out, the solution will be more obvious.

--The milled walnut tree has been a blessing and a curse. Glad to have the wood and I am using it-just not fast enough. It's taking up a lot of space--approx 50 sqft of floor space--maybe 1/8 of my shop. I'm too sentimental about it to sell any of it. I think I'm going to start by selling off other walnut boards I got on CL before I got this tree. That way I can put about half of these boards on that lumber rack and gain some floor space back. I really need to declutter before I have random CL people come into my shop.

--I've been interested in wall mounting my 2hp HF DC. I have a semi-permanent run to the TS but want to make a run to the chop saw and the router table (which is in the TS extension table). I also want to make a branch off the TS trunk so I can have a flex hose to my planer/drum sander.

--I bought a used Rigid OSS from CL in early 2012 but have yet to use it because of space. I'm thinking about making one of those flip carts so it could share a mobile base with the Rigid planer.

--I bought a new router plate in 2012 and need to completely redo my router table top to accept it. The old top was beat anyway. I also want to create drawers/storage that would essential hang down from the TS extension wing where it lives now. My bits are in a tool cabinet on the back wall, not near my RT.

--The clamp that holds sand paper onto my Ryobi drum sander stinks. It doesn't hold onto the paper very well. I bought a replacement clamp for the newer Jets that get rave reviews for their holding power. From the looks of it, I will have to completely unmount the drum from the motor shaft but I want to replace the clamp.

--My chopsaw bench has tons of storage underneath. I never made the drawer fronts for the 4 drawers I built. I just need to mill up some oak and mount them. Don't know why it's taken so long to get to it. It's only been 6 years.

Maybe it's foolhardy of me, but I think this should all be doable in 2013. I really think I should be able to accomplish this in 2 months time but you know how things go.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul

--The corner of the shop nearest the door is where all the garden tools and supplies live. I troll CL for a deal on one of those tall/skinny Rubbermaid storage sheds so I can store the tools outside. I bought a low profile one during Black Friday and now the lawnmower and other crap live outside. I have two 6' tall shelves that could be used to store shop stuff, not garden tools.
    Done, but I think I added another project in the process.

Bought the shed at Lowes this afternoon for a good price and all the long handled garden tools as well as gasoline are outside now. The cabinet is just OK but I don't know why I was expecting more. It gets the job done. I do need to think of a way to organize them better in there, though.

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

--My chopsaw bench has tons of storage underneath. I never made the drawer fronts for the 4 drawers I built. I just need to mill up some oak and mount them. Don't know why it's taken so long to get to it. It's only been 6 years.
      Done. I first met the sawyer of my walnut tree when he did a sawmill demonstration at the county fair. I bought some green white oak boards from him for 50cent/bf which I air dried myself.

Anyway, I milled up one board, finished them with some leftover varnish, and attached these shop made handles to the fronts. It's simply angle aluminum which I bought at the Restore years ago. It was inspired by the rolling tool cabinet I built almost 10 years ago from plans in a WWers Journal article. There's another set of identical drawers to the right.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

--I'm still struggling to finish off daughter #2's dresser. So close. After I finish that dresser, I promise not to start another project and give the shop a really good cleaning.
        Dresser was finished a couple of months ago. Actually won Best in Show for furniture at the county fair, too (no one made a rocking chair this year). Maybe I broke my promise, maybe not. I had to build something else (below) to aid in getting the shop clean.

--... I need to put one more bike up on the ceiling...
        Done.

--The milled walnut tree has been a blessing and a curse. Glad to have the wood and I am using it-just not fast enough. It's taking up a lot of space--approx 50 sqft of floor space--maybe 1/8 of my shop. I'm too sentimental about it to sell any of it. I think I'm going to start by selling off other walnut boards I got on CL before I got this tree. That way I can put about half of these boards on that lumber rack and gain some floor space back. I really need to declutter before I have random CL people come into my shop.
        I spent most of Friday night reorganizing one of my lumber racks. I bought approx 200bf of walnut in the earlier part of the year I had the aforementioned tree milled. I put them up for sale on CL for probably at a loss but I sold off 50bf on Saturday morning. Now I can start moving that tree off the floor and maybe gain back 12sqft.

--I bought a used Rigid OSS from CL in early 2012 but have yet to use it because of space. I'm thinking about making one of those flip carts so it could share a mobile base with the Rigid planer.
        I officially kicked this one off yesterday. Making good progress. Unlike some of my other shop projects, this one will be presentable. I love that I'm using up tons of scrap. I can see the light!

Comment

• big tim
          • Mar 2006
          • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
          • SawStop PCS

You're making good progress. You have 4 months to finish the rest.
          Regards,

Tim
          Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

It's a shame your so far, I could have helped unload your walnut
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I spent most of Friday night reorganizing one of my lumber racks. I bought approx 200bf of walnut in the earlier part of the year I had the aforementioned tree milled. I put them up for sale on CL for probably at a loss but I sold off 50bf on Saturday morning. Now I can start moving that tree off the floor and maybe gain back 12sqft.
              Re-ran my CL ad for the rest of the walnut and a very lucky WWer just got a very good deal. He realized he'll have to buy a planer now so maybe I did him two favors.

Buy high, sell low? Well, that's what I did today, but I think my shop just took a nice decompressing breath which was my original intent.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Recovered enough from a 2 week long cold and my first bout of pink eye thanks to kids in daycare to get a little work done in the shop. There are no must do projects so shop cleaning is in order.

I disassembled the old planer stand now that my flip cart is in play. I started to move the walnut to the wall rack and realized a big problem. Most of these boards are 13' long but that lumber rack is only 10' wide. I could gain another 3' if I relocate a shelving unit, but it's good there. The lumber didn't look that long lying on the ground and the rack looks much wider than it is.

I started picking out the <10' long boards from the pile but I've got to practically disassemble the whole stack to get to the shorter boards and then find a temporary spot for the long boards while I try to figure out a real solution for the long boards. Not how I envisioned this going. In a fit of rage, I almost cut the boards in half and then contemplated cutting off 3' to make them fit. I mean, when am I ever going to need a 13' long board?

BTW, how much load can you put on a stud wall? My lumber rack system says each horizontal support can hold 150lbs each. I pretty much have a standard on each stud for the whole 10' span. What's going to fail first? The wall, the supports (I won't exceed the max load, though), or the screws (real ones, not drywall screws) holding the standards to the wall?

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

What will fail first... that is a good question. One that I had spent a lot of time musing over. When I did my racks, I used some heavy duty Knape and vogt standards and brackets. Being a block wall I used some threaded inserts that screw in like a tapcon into the wall and are tapped for 1/4-20 machine screws. I am pretty confident it will hold just about whatever I put into it.

To your question, you are looking at shear - force straight down essentially causing the screws to be cut through and pull out - the load pulling the screws or stud out of the wall. The pull out is magnified with longer shelves as it acts like a lever. All good things to keep in mind ;-)
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• atgcpaul
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Maryland
                    • Grizzly 1023SLX

After my last post, got another cough again and then horrible sore throat. Went to the Dr and turned out to be strep. Antibiotics are doing their job and now that I've been officially furloughed (and so is wife), I have shop time again! Trying to find the bright side.

I've spent the last week getting setup to reorganize the wood pile. I put as many of the <10 footers on this wood rack.

The manageable 13 footers went on this rack on the opposite wall. A lot of older short boards on this rack need a major reorg, too. I temporarily placed those boards on the lower two tiers to make room for the long boards.

Some boards just weren't going to fit on the wall and will have to continue to live on the floor. This pic is before I consolidated this pile into one tall stack. That one single board you see on the right is a 6/4 board that's 13' long and 18" wide; its twin is to its left under the other boards. The board to the right of it leaning on edge is an 8/4 board that's 11' long but only about 14" wide. I'm thinking about moving this stack to underneath the first lumber rack, but I will have to move that plastic shelving unit. Maybe I'll put it on a platform.

I can already see that I'm about to gain back a bunch of square footage. If I move that pile on the floor, I'll get even more back! It'll be enough for the lathe!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Cleaning and re-org continue. Raised the plastic utility shelf 2' off the floor using 3 heavy duty angle brackets I wasn't using. Wife then helped me move 5 big slabs from this wall to underneath the lumber rack on the opposite wall. I need to clean up the bottom wood rack you see here so I can slide tools closer to the wall. That lift cart is next on my cleaning hit list then TS/assembly bench and finally the miter saw bench and cabinets at the rear of the shop.

My shop actually feels a little, dare I say, "spacious".

Comment

Working...