• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by Daryl
    My floor seems to always be covered by a layer of saw dust and shavings. I think it is easier on my feet than being neat.
    Might be easier, but can be a hazard due to slipping. Sawdust and wood chips burn pretty good too.

Comment

• Tom Clark
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2007
      • Deming, NM
      • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

As crazy as it sounds, about 15 years ago I wanted something to temporarily cover the hard concrete when I was building some cabinets. I stopped into a carpet store and inquired about about a cheap remnant. For 75 bucks I bought a piece of light brown carpet that was just the right size of 12x14.

When I moved from FL to NM last year the same old carpet went with me. I'm so used to working on it that I can't imagine not having it. It is comfortable on the feet, really nice to flip projects over on without scratching things up, and even better to catch finish spills. It may be replaced some day, but for now I am satisfied.
      Attached Files

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

That's really cool Tom, good idea!
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• sscherin
          • Dec 2003
          • Kennewick, WA, USA.

We did the same thing (sort of) in my fathers garage.
          When we changed the carpet in the house we took the old piece from the living room and laid it out in the garage.. Much nicer then concrete.. I fell asleep under the car once.

Tom..

What kit is the Fatcat hanging there (did I ask that before?)
          I was thinking Laser but it has straight wings.
          GP Giant Escapade?
          Last edited by sscherin; 01-16-2013, 03:39 AM.
          William's Law--
          There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it
          cannot be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Comment

• Carpenter96
            Established Member
            • Aug 2011
            • Barrie ON Canada
            • BT 3000

Two years ago I put a dri-core floor in my shop and then covered it with non slip PVC roll flooring. As someone who has agreat deal of problems with my feet I can tell you that in my case the wood floor makes a huge difference. I thought I was going to have to stop working in my shop, but now it is a pleasure to spend time there. There is a reason that they call a wood framed floor a sprung floor. Regards Bob

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by jking
              Try this for a test: Take a hammer and hit a concrete floor several times. Then, hit a wood floor the same number of times. Now, which one would you rather do on a continuous basis?
              Actually neither. I'd rather be building cabinets. Furthermore, if I was caught doing that, I'd be carted off by way of the Baker Act for sure.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

In my shop, 1/2 of the floor is concrete, the rest is plywood over joists. My knees hurt less when I'm on the plywood side.

In my in-laws house, they had a floating tile system put in their kitchen and breakfast area a few years ago. Too spongy for my taste. I've gotten used to it, but when it was just put in, my knees would hurt if I stood on it any length of time.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

Working...