• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

A "shop tour" with a master luthier ...

I know that there are several budding and experienced luthiers that view and contribute to this forum ... even if you have no interest in building stringed musical instruments I believe you will find this 33 minute video worth the time investment because it covers several general woodworking shop topics. Besides shop layout, Lynn discusses his particular use for bandsaw, drill press, table mounted router, spindle sander, cnc machine and dust management as well as an interesting discussing of his finishing techniques. ... and ... you'll get a very complete overview of just what it takes to build a stringed instrument ...

Lynn Dudenbostel is one of a very select few contemporary luthiers that can command 5 digit prices for his commissioned instruments ... and ... you would expect to be on a year+ waiting list. I have had the good fortune to attend a day long seminar presented by Lynn and thus to meet and talk with him to discover as you will if you watch the video that he is a very down to earth person with some excellent pointers and a good communicator.

The video I have linked is associated with an article in The Fretboard Journal. I think you will enjoy his "shop tour" ... (here's hoping the link works!!) => http://vimeo.com/8915022

Bade
    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Having seen the short television series highlighting his work, I almost didn't click on the link, but it was very interesting.

The TV series showed him felling trees and milling the wood all the way to coimplete instrument. It's interesting to see that he actually has a method that uses store-bought wood and what properties he's looking for in the wood.

Like him, I now use my wide belt sander a lot more than my planer, for exaclty the reasons he suggests. I make my boxes with miter keys usually, which can be very tricky to get the right thickness. The WBS is a huge help in that.

I wish he'd gone a bit more into actually fitting inlays. I've started using a lot more decorative embelishments on my boxes, but have a very long way to go in perfecting my technique. A CNC router would sure help a lot!

I really covet his little finishing room. I've spent all week doing some final finish work on a couple of boxes, leaving the shop not usable for any new box making.

Thanks for the link!

JR
    JR

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks for the link, Bade. I've been looking for something like this.
      Richard

Comment

Working...