• Show
Clear All
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

Jig storage

I was thinking that since we are talking about shop layout right now I would pose a problem that I have here in my shop. I knew that a 28X40 shop would be all I would ever need. Yea right!

What do you do with all those jigs you made? I would like some ideas.

Celing is 12', not an option unless I use some kind of a block and tackle system.

Wall space is just about gone.

Floor space IS gone.

I did think about the 10X10 overhead door but don't know how to use it. It is metal and insulated for Alaska's weather.

The shed is full to the max.

2 car oversized garage is off limits. LOML has that!

Right now I have them shoved under what ever they will be used for but running out of that space as well.

Has anyone installed a loft after all the construction has been finished? I think lighting would be an issue.

I worked in a 12X16 shed for a number of years and thought I was the master of small space but this problem has me stumped.

I'm sure you guys have some ideas and have had the same problem, HELP!!
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

28x40 and you're having storage problems... My heart bleeds for ya

It depends on the jig, and the frequency of use. unfrequently used jigs go in more inaccessible places like bottom shelves and backs of drawers.

Flat jigs like: my small crosscut sleds, taper jigs, shooting boards etc are stored vertically on an overhead deep shelf in the end of my 10x12 shed back to back. They slide in and out easily. My long crosscut sled is vertical in between some shelves and my sanding station.

I stored my box joint jigs and various miter fence attachments in a couple big drawers. I hung my cast iron taper jig on a wall and my dovetail spline jig and other cumbersome shaped ones go on some open shelves.
    Erik

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

jig storage

I know that you said that overhead storage is out because of 12' ceilings...
      but think about again. If you have exposed rafters or beams as I do in my shop
      I used them to my advantage. I installed L hooks into the rafters and a screw
      eye into one side of the jig and hang the jig onto the rafters up and out of the way . When I need to use that jig, just lift it up off the hook and it is ready to use. Ceiling storage is probably the least used and most overlooked storage area in most shops. I have mine so crowded it is getting hard to find anywhere
      else to store anything new...guess it is time to start using up some of the material stored there.

Comment

Working...