X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Epoxy slides

I have about eight drawers going into my cabinet and I have settled on the 3/4 epoxy slides. I'll be buying from wwhardware, but I picked up a similar slide from Woodcraft.

Do all of these game the same width, to use the one I have on hand as a template to make the drawers until I place and receive my Internet order? Or should I wait until I have one of their's on hand?
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
    I have about eight drawers going into my cabinet and I have settled on the 3/4 epoxy slides. I'll be buying from wwhardware, but I picked up a similar slide from Woodcraft.

Do all of these game the same width, to use the one I have on hand as a template to make the drawers until I place and receive my Internet order? Or should I wait until I have one of their's on hand?
    I haven't found any difference in the different brands as to spacing. If you leave 1/2" + 1/32" for each side, or make the drawer box 1 1/16" (17/16") narrower than the opening, the slides will work fine.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Finally placed my order, I went with the epoxy slides for all but the bottom drawers - on those I went with full extension ball bearing.

Two more questions - since the epoxy slides are 3/4 extension, and I don't really need the extra depth, I was going to make the drawers 3/4 deep. Now do I need to keep the sides the length of the slide, or can I shorten them up?

Other question is the bottoms - the drawer interiors are going to be about 17" wide, and the depth on the epoxy slides will be about 15" deep. On the ball bearing about 20". Hardboard, 1/4" or 1/2" ply? Only the bottom drawers will hold a decent amount of weight. The other drawers will be for lighter duty, odds and ends and supplies.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by CocheseUGA

Two more questions - since the epoxy slides are 3/4 extension, and I don't really need the extra depth, I was going to make the drawers 3/4 deep. Now do I need to keep the sides the length of the slide, or can I shorten them up?

Other question is the bottoms - the drawer interiors are going to be about 17" wide, and the depth on the epoxy slides will be about 15" deep. On the ball bearing about 20". Hardboard, 1/4" or 1/2" ply? Only the bottom drawers will hold a decent amount of weight. The other drawers will be for lighter duty, odds and ends and supplies.
        You can shorten the length of the drawers. They don't have to be the length of the slides. If you use 1/4" hardboard (Masonite), use tempered Masonite. It's more rigid than standard. As for which would mostly resist deflection, I would go with the 1/2" plywood.

Comment

Working...