• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The effect of damp sawdust on tools

A friend of mine has frequently said that it was a good practice to leave the floor of a shop covered in sawdust. He said that this prevents the tools from rusting. But, I'm of the opinion that once the sawdust reaches a state of equilibrium with the surrounding air that it's a wash - the sawdust has absorbed as much moisture as it is going to. He has an unrealistic attachment for this feeling because this was the belief of his grandfather who raised him.
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I'm inclined to side with your understanding. I guess I don't see sawdust as being a any kind of "dessicant". In my humble opinion, it's more like a sponge and will hold moisture and act more like a wick, in keeping it present (much like a damp rug)

I prefer to keep my shop floor as clean as possible. Whether your shop is in the basement or a separate building, I don't think anyone want to continually track sawdust out of the shop.

Sawdust on the floor does not make for good traction either and the last thing anyone wants is poor footing. I suppose it makes a difference if your floor is concrete, but on a wood or tile floor, sawdust can get slippery.

Furthermore, I would be concerned that sawdust, especially if it gets slightly damp, would be a great place for insects and mold. I certainly don't enjoy sharing my shop with other critters.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Yea, I feel kind of stupid for allowing myself that suspicion but if you knew this guy you'd know why I did. Sorry!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• natausch
        Established Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Aurora, IL
        • BT3000 - 15A

There is some advantage, but the sawdust has to be changed regularly, meaning you still have to clean it up frequently. They used to do the same thing with rushes in the middle ages, and sawdust is still used frequently to help absorb/cleanup vomit.

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

Saw dust has it's benifits.

It does assorb dampness, it makes for clean up of oils spilt on the floor, etc. But you just can not leave it there. As earlier mentioned by CWS, other problems will arrise. I throw some damp saw dust on the floor just before using a shop broom to clean up. It kind of helps keep the dust down imho

Comment

Working...