• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

tool storage cabinets

here are a few pics of two storage cabinets i built recently for my two latest purchases, a ridgid 1300 thickness planer and a ryobi wds1600 drum sander. my thanks to those who have posted similar projects preiously and whose ideas i have shamelessly copied:

try as i might, i couldn't get the pics loaded as attachments. any insights on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Like this ?

how to - you click on any image, select 'link to it', then in the next screen select the size of the image, and then copy the complete code from the 'post in a forum' and paste it here.

Btw, does that surface swing in to allow the planar go to the underside?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I had to take a second look to understand what you achieved - and am impressed.

Very nice! You have a stand, and you have a box to hold the tool in - in the same package. Love your technique of using that galvanized pipe.

edit : sorry, misread your 'problem' earlier; you wanted to know how to attach images to the post here, while I was giving you steps to show images from webshots. I think the limitation on image size for attachment is less than 100k each, so that might be kicking you out, if you even reached that point. Or maybe like Erik (below) says, it's a membership thing.
      Last edited by radhak; 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Cool, flip top cabinets.

I did one for my DW735 planer, cause I think I was going to blow something out if I carried it around again.

How'd you do the stops for them?

On the attachments, I think you have to be a paid member to do them. You'll also be able to have a custom avatar too. There should be a 'Manage Attachments' button below the post pane under additional options. It's pretty straight forward from there. Just browse and upload.
        Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

the positive feedback is much appreciated. i did the browse and upload thing and it uploaded one pic, and then, no more. yet, when i posted 2 pics of the drum sander when i purchased it last month, both pics, taken the same way with the same camera, uploaded with no problem using the "browse" method.

radhak..that's 1/2" emt electrical conduit. got a 10' length @ HD for $.74. it made the "hinge" for both cabinets . what surface were you referring to in your first post?

pelligrini...the stops are just 3" pieces of 1/2" iron rod that are inserted into through holes the are drilled through the case side and into the top on which the tool is attached. once the tool is flipped into the operating position, the pins join the top to the cabinet side. they can be seen in the cabinet side in this pic of the drum sander in the up and operating position. i tend to like things simple.

hey, looks like i it to work! thanks for the assist.
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

The cabinets look good and should work out great.

For photos, if you have an editing program, it helps a lot. For free, there are a few "good" ones, like Picasa, and Faststone, and Infanview.

With the editing sites, you can do any enhancements necessary and resize the photo to fit the post.

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by toolguy1000
              pelligrini...the stops are just 3" pieces of 1/2" iron rod that are inserted into through holes the are drilled through the case side and into the top on which the tool is attached. once the tool is flipped into the operating position, the pins join the top to the cabinet side. they can be seen in the cabinet side in this pic of the drum sander in the up and operating position. i tend to like things simple.
              OK, that's about what I did with mine too, but I used some clevis pins. Out of all the options I looked at it seemed the easiest and most unobtrusive. I ended up doing just two, one on two opposing corners. Didn't have to worry about alignment that way.

The design for the drum sander cabinet is interesting. I could see doing something similar but turning the sander 90 degrees so the hinged lids could also serve as infeed and outfeed tables. Would need more room for rotational clearance though.
              Erik

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by pelligrini
                I could see doing something similar but turning the sander 90 degrees so the hinged lids could also serve as infeed and outfeed tables. Would need more room for rotational clearance though.
                ooooooo, that's an interesting idea. i'd like to say i thought about it and dismissed it when i was building the cabinet, but that wouldn't be true. while it would have been a good enhancement, i couldn't have used it due to the space limitations of my one car garage. the increased depth (the drum sander is longer than it is wide) would have put it too far into the parking area of the minivan. yes, even with all my stationary tools, two workbenches and rollaways, i can still park a mininvan in my one car garage. but thanks for the idea. something to consider for the future.

Comment

Working...