• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Shop storage projects

In in the middle of a shop (basement) redo.

Complaints about old shop area: Crap panelling on fir strips that were attached to concrete block walls with liquid nails, and were all coming off.

Dropped ceiling that was dropping more (parts falling on my head).

So a few months ago I removed the ceiling (leaving exposed joists) and then started on the panelling. I hand-scraped the liquid nails residue from the walls, painted with water-proof paint, and then a top-coat of latex.

After the first wall, I had to stop and figure out a way to store four large shelves of tools/stuff so I could ditch the steel shelves and continue.

I tried shelf standards attached to the wall I had completed, but the walls were less than straight.

So I created some cleats between joists on top of the walls, then I made some hangers with 1x material and some rafter hooks from the hardware store. My shelving unit and my tool rack hang from two of these hangers each. This way I can slide them around and even move them if I like.

The tool hanger will hold all my bits. Having bits in boxes (even nice ones) on shelves turned into a PITA, as I was constantly having to get the box out, find a spot for it (for example, top of table saw) and then having to move the open box again when I needed to use the saw. I wanted everything out and ready.

The tool hanger is really just a piece of plywood with two t-slots routed into it, and assorted BB plywood holders. Still have one for my hand tools to finish-up.

I used mostly materials on hand. The plywood carcase for the shelf and the plywood t-slotted rack are cheap plywood from Home Depot. The WO shelves for the hanging shelf was provided as a return favor for helping w/ someone's PC (there is quite a bit more, and he is bringing even more--good to do favors for guys w/ Wood-Mizers). I had the BB plywood. Even the milk paint was on-hand. This was my first attempt at milk paint. I like it, will be using it more. Put it over crap plywood and your end product looks fairly decent.

I still have a little more work to do, but whatever doesn't fit on these two things will go up in the ceiling in little "garages" I'm making for pneumatic tools, etc.

Part of my goal was to really de-clutter the shop. So having a place for everything, and everything in its place, is my ultimate goal.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cgallery; 04-09-2010, 08:09 PM.
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Wow! Now that's a shop my LOML would be proud of!

Somehow it reminds me of Rod Kirby's shop, wonder why...

That's a neat look you have achieved. You'll now want to spend all your time there!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

Very nice! (Using pocket screws to fasten to your ceiling joists? That's getting serious!) Nice work!
      Bill

Comment

• knobcreekman
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2009
        • Mobile, AL
        • BT3100

you have more drill bits than i have tools

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by knobcreekman
          you have more drill bits than i have tools

That one block has enough room for four 29-bit sets.

Two different rows of brad-point bits, and one row of split-point bits. One row for future expansion.

The other block is 31 carbide-tipped Forster bits.

I got to the point a few years ago where I got tired of never having the right sized bit.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Looks good, who do you have come in to dust?

Bill
            over here in the dirty shop

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
              Looks good, who do you have come in to dust?

Bill
              over here in the dirty shop

Its all brand-new stuff. It'll get dusty, I guarantee it.

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Way to go
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Cool idea on the bit storage. That is one more in a long list of things I want to do in my shop.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• RobertB574
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2005
                    • Warner Robins, GA, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks - This Would Work For Me Too

I Like It.

I have shop in the basement too. I added lights but it still appears dark - never thought of painting the cinder block. Your idea of hanging from the top of the wall solves another problem in my shop. Bit holder good too.

Shameless Copycat

Comment

• phi1l
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Madison, WI

When I started redoing my basement shop, I didn't know how my final configuration would end up, so everything is on wheels. Mostly on NFS style wire shelving on casters. I even build a tool table (router/drill press/ jig saw/ grinder, assembly) from the bottom half of one of those.

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Originally posted by phi1l
                        When I started redoing my basement shop, I didn't know how my final configuration would end up, so everything is on wheels. Mostly on NFS style wire shelving on casters. I even build a tool table (router/drill press/ jig saw/ grinder, assembly) from the bottom half of one of those.
                        That's a good idea, too.

But what that picture doesn't show is my flooring problem.

The tile floor was installed AFTER the panelling that I've removed. Now I've got a jagged gap of approx. 1" between the walls and the tiles.

So my ultimate goal is to get everything as condensed as possible, as much off the floor as possible, and then to "fix" the floor.

I had been thinking epoxy, which would require removing the tile, grinding, and then the epoxy.

But I think I'm going to just replace the crappy old vinyl tiles with crappy new vinyl tiles (just kidding, the newer commercial tiles are kinda nice).

The old tiles actually come up quite easily (the glue is old enough that it is the hard solvent stuff, not the flexible latex stuff). So a new tile floor can be done by myself in sections without having to worry about telling the family "don't walk here for two days."

But the less on the floor, the better (at least until I fix the floor).

Comment

• phi1l
                          • Oct 2009
                          • Madison, WI

Originally posted by cgallery
                          That's a good idea, too.

But what that picture doesn't show is my flooring problem.

The tile floor was installed AFTER the panelling that I've removed. Now I've got a jagged gap of approx. 1" between the walls and the tiles.

So my ultimate goal is to get everything as condensed as possible, as much off the floor as possible, and then to "fix" the floor.

I had been thinking epoxy, which would require removing the tile, grinding, and then the epoxy.

But I think I'm going to just replace the crappy old vinyl tiles with crappy new vinyl tiles (just kidding, the newer commercial tiles are kinda nice).

The old tiles actually come up quite easily (the glue is old enough that it is the hard solvent stuff, not the flexible latex stuff). So a new tile floor can be done by myself in sections without having to worry about telling the family "don't walk here for two days."

But the less on the floor, the better (at least until I fix the floor).

How old are those vinyl Tiles? ( I'm wondering about asbestos ) You may want to consider a solution that leaves the existing tile undisturbed an in place.

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Originally posted by phi1l
                            How old are those vinyl Tiles? ( I'm wondering about asbestos ) You may want to consider a solution that leaves the existing tile undisturbed an in place.
                            They should be vinyl. They're 12x12, and still quite pliable. I believe they were installed approx. 1989 to 2001.

And the glue is the yellow stuff instead of the black stuff.

I'll use precautions anyhow (basically flooding the floor with water to keep the dust down while I'm working).

Comment

• phi1l
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Madison, WI

Originally posted by cgallery
                              They should be vinyl. They're 12x12, and still quite pliable. I believe they were installed approx. 1989 to 2001.

And the glue is the yellow stuff instead of the black stuff.

I'll use precautions anyhow (basically flooding the floor with water to keep the dust down while I'm working).
                              You should be OK then. Asbestos was phased out of vinyl tiles in 1980. So unless they were very old stock sitting back in the corner at the supplier, you should be asbestos free.

Comment

Working...