• Show
Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Mobile Clamp Rack

Yesterday Keith (Drumpriest) made a post about number of clamps that he was using. At the same time I was posting (on a different forum) pictures of my "Clamp Rack". Keith's post made me thinking: "How many clamps do I have?". Well I had to go downstairs and count them:

18 - Irwin and Husky Quick Grip (12 - 24 - 36")

8 - Bessy parallel (24 - 40 - 50")
    27 - F clamp (6 - 12 - 18 - 24")
    6 - pipe clamp
    6 - edge clamp (3 way)
    2 - Corner Clamp
    1 - Clamp & Cut (?)
    3 - band clamp

These are all stored on my Clamp rack. In addition I also have 6 C-Clamp and 24 spring clamp that I need to find room for on this stand. That brings the total to 101

The good news is none of them were purchased at full price and mostly were less than half

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp Station 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	796682Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp Station 2.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	796683

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp Station 3.jpg
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	796684Click image for larger version

Name:	Clamp Station 4.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	796685

The Clamp Rack original design is from ShopeNotes magazine with a few changes to fit my needs. The only problem is the total weight combined with 3" casters and carpeted floor which makes it rather difficult to move (specially to start) but then, I don't really have to move it much.

As you can see I have room left for a few more because "You can Never Have Too Many Clamps"
    Last edited by Turaj; 03-25-2010, 09:13 AM. Reason: Correcting typos!
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

You make me cry

I ran out of clamps during my current project.... forcing me to have to repeat a procedure 4x and delay other processes that could have been ganged!

My lack of foresight to have clamps on an eternal shopping list. I have 17 in total which is pathetic. 5 of which are 12" quick grip knock-offs from HF.....
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Nice set up. A couple of strips of aluminum angle in the bottom section under the F clamps would hold the spring clamps. Better for access, if you can do it, would be to lower those 2 racks and put the spring clamps at the top.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by chopnhack
        5 of which are 12" quick grip knock-offs from HF.....
        I bought 3 of those one time. Broke 2 and tossed the other one in the trash! Not on the list of HF's gems....
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

carpeted floor in a woodworking shop???? am i reading that right?
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• jgrobler
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Salinas, CA, USA.
            • TS3650

Originally posted by toolguy1000
            Well, at least now I know I'm not the only one. I've on more than one occasion wanted to pull it out, but not yet gone through the trouble. Hmmm, maybe this weekend. Or the next.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Turaj, great job on the clamp rack. I would love to have a nice setup like that but unfortunately don't have the floor space for one.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Sweet set-up Taraj. I have one mobile that will hold 16 over 48" pipe clamps but have 12 30"-48" Jorge Cabinet Masters on my larger assembly table open and ready.. the other + 50 have to go on wall rack mounts as I just don't have room for that many mobile carts.

That should serve you well but.. I bet you will over-run it in the future if you are active in the shop..

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by Pappy
                  Nice set up. A couple of strips of aluminum angle in the bottom section under the F clamps would hold the spring clamps. Better for access, if you can do it, would be to lower those 2 racks and put the spring clamps at the top.
                  Thanks Pappy! and great suggestion for the other clamps. I can move / lower the other racks as they are all screwed in and have about 8-10" to play with.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• Turaj
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                    That is what I am saying . The previous owner of the house had covered the basement with carpet (not attached) and we have left it there. It keeps the basement warmer, nicer to walk on (instead of bare concrete) and certainly helps with the noise and vibration reduction from the tools. The main problem is cleaning and getting the dust out of the carpet (more and more I try to capture the dust at the source).

I have been thinking about finishing the basement and installing a proper flooring option but ....
                    Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

Working...