X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billfrommich
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

two workshops

Just wondering how many people have, in effect, two workshops. I'm sure that a lot of people who have a workshop in the garage might have a workbench in the basement or vice-versa, but I'm thinking more along the lines of having a significant amount of your power tools, storage, etc. divided between two seperate locations. In my case,I prefer to do a lot of rough cutting and messy (dusty, fumy) work in my non-attached garage, and do the rest in my basement shop. I also have my wood storage divided between the two locations. I wish I had the room for everything in one place, but I don't.
    Last edited by billfrommich; 03-14-2010, 12:05 PM. Reason: typo correction
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I don't have two workshops, but I do have a toolbox inside with some smaller hand tools in it.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• charliex
      • Mar 2004
      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I have a workshop in the attached garage and a sewing room in what should be the master bedroom... Oh wait that ones not mine. Not the same thing I guess.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

How about in Japan and in the US? I have my tools split between the two places. I have found that when I get back home in the States for 4 weeks each year, I need my tools there for repairs as much as I need them here (Japan) for a hobby to take my mind off of work.

I keep a large tool box in the house with a set of wrenches, 2 socket sets, several pliers, several screw drivers and bit sets, soldering iron, solder, measure tapes, rules, sticky tapes, hammer, flashlight and more. I have one in my house in Japan and one in our house in the US.

In the US, I keep my battery powered (Ryobi) drill driver, impact driver and light in the house for frequent use. Here, my tool shed is very close to the house (30 seconds from the side door), so I keep the cordless tools there except for the Ryobi light, which stays in the house.

Splitting one set of tools for use in two places and having to go back and forth just to get a single tool or maybe two tools for a two minute job is a pain. - Or in your case back and forth looking for the right board and taking wood working tools back and forth is a pain.
        Last edited by leehljp; 03-14-2010, 07:53 PM.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by leehljp
          How about in Japan and in the US? I have my tools split between the two places.

Not quite that far, it's always been less than 10 miles between home and the shop (commercial property). Duplicates of many tools for the two places. The shop is where it gets expensive in having to have enough tools to go around however many employees there are at the time. They aren't required to have their own. Some shops require employees to be equipped with other than stationary tools.

So, it's not a question of getting just one drill or router, it may be 2 or 3. For the days requiring installation, a completely loaded truck carries a wide variety of tools and supplies that may be needed. There has to be duplicates of all that to remain in the shop in order to work.

Comment

Working...