• Show
Clear All
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

Lifting and moving heavy things in the shop

A while back someone asked for ideas on how to lift heavy things up on to his workbench and back off again. Yesterday I was looking at the magazines in the rack while waiting in the store and saw in Wood Magazine's America's Best Workshops 2010 just what the poster wanted. I think. On pages 26 through 28 the shop of Lynn Lawrenz of Wisconsin (yeah I took notes but can't read my writing so the spelling may be off) has a lift system on a pivot arm that swings a small electric hoist about his shop. The arm is an I beam and the hoist can move along it as well as swing about. I tried to take a picture of the page but my cellphone camera lens is a bit fogged from living in my pocket and the resulting pic is unusable. So, if your interested you will just have to visit your local magazine rack and peruse the magazine. All the shops shown were way out of my class and budget but had some interesting ideas on how to spend about 5 to 500 grand on a shop.

Bill
    thinking of more ways of helping you spend your money on things your wife can't believe you want much less need.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You should get yourself a belt clip. Was the lift like those pick up truck single beam cranes, and an electric winch?

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

lifting and moving heavy things in the shop

You might want to invest in a mobile cherry picker like the auto shops use.
      This might be the thing for your heavy lifting instead of doing the old fashioned
      lifting method.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
        You should get yourself a belt clip. Was the lift like those pick up truck single beam cranes, and an electric winch?
        Yes it was. It had a box steel beam looked about 4" sq, on pivots that went from floor to ceiling. From that an I beam with a short 45 deg brace went out. It was mounted about the middle of the shop at then end of a lathe and could swing over the workbench, table saw and several assembly tables. In the photos it shows him lifting what looks like a base cabinet up on to a bench. He had some nifty cam clamps to hold the cabinet by the top of the sides too. The shop also had a lot of headroom. Room for this to swing under the lights and well above his head. The lift was provided by what looked like a small HF electric hoist but I bet he didn't buy it at HF.

As for the belt clip... the phone would last an even shorter time living there. I tend to hit things with whatever is on my belt. A hammer holster becomes a deadly weapon to door frames and cabinet corners and a wide tape gets knocked off in the most inconvenient places. So I live with a phone in my pocket and a 1/2" 12' tape in the other pocket.

Bill
        ever notice how a finish that dries in a half hour either sets up in the brush before you can get it on the wood or takes all afternoon?

Comment

Working...