• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Shop Photos (warning, pic intensive)

It seems like I've been putting away tools and building stuff forever and I am still not finished. The shop is still pretty messy and I did not clean up to take these photos:

Dust collector. Wynn filters. It works well, especially when using the planer. I have to buy or make dust hoods for the DP and bandsaw. The hose on the left is attached to a Shark Guard.

From left, planer, bandsaw, jointer. The lathe at the bottom needs a stand. There's a mobile cart for cutoffs on the far right that's barely visible. The planer is sitting on my first attempt at a shop air cleaner. It's a bit too small for the filters, which are larger than advertised.

Cabinets. I have doors for the uppers but I was so desperate to clean up the mess I just mounted them (on french cleats). Lowers on the left were built about two years ago, plywood boxes, ash fronts, tigerwood pulls. The others were built earlier this year and moved up. Some still need fronts and puls. The slatwall was free, and I'm still experimenting with various strageties for mounting stuff. Disk and belt sander on the left, spindle sander on the right. As you can so, no problems with inadequate light.

Lumber rack. Cherry and walnut on toop, chestnut and pine cutoffs from the great room ceiling in the middle, ash on the lower shelf, more cherry and walnut on the floor. I have more in the truck that's too long for the shop and will be stored elsewhere temporarily. The first aid cabinet on the left is made from chestnut. Still needs to have finish applied. Also some clamp racks on the left. There's a sink so I can wash up before I go back in the house through a door not shown on the left. The shop is underneath the garage and there's another 21x21 room over the garage that's the Dynamo's playpen.

Another view of the lower drawers. On the right I have one cabinet with 7 1/2" high drawers that use full extension slides. The others move on wooden runners. Runners are more tolerant of warped plywood and other amateur mistakes than the slides.

Another view of the first aid cabinet and clamp racks. I had built some fixtures for the F-clamps and then saw the very clever box arrangement in one of the WW mags. Much stronger than my earlier idea.

An exit back into the house is on the left. Behind and to my left are double doors that lead outside. Above them are double doors out of the garage. HF bar clamps, assorted grip clamps, F-clamps. Like the rest of the house, the shop has sprinklers and a smoke detector.

More clamps. Thermostat for the heating system, which is an in-floor radiant system. Very comfy on these cold winter days.

Once I get everything put away, I'm hoping to emulate Rod by keeping things clean. Everything in the garage that used to be my shop is covered with sawdust and LOML is not pleased.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Quite a project you got going there. I've expanded a few times, moved a few times, and can appreciate what you're going through. It seems like a never ending project. If I was a neighbor...I'd help ya.

Comment

• gary
      • May 2004
      • Versailles, KY, USA.

It looks like my shop if the fact that any flat place is automatically a storage stop for something. I felt at home!
      Gary

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

If I was a neighbor...I'd help ya.
        If you were my neighbor, the shop would be a work of art and the trash man would be complaining about the number of beer bottles.

Gotta go put away more lumber now.

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Radiant heat! Lots of light! It's really looking nice.

Enjoy!

JR
          JR

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

If I ever have a house built, I'm definitely putting in radiant floors. So sweet to have it in your shop.

Comment

• Leatherneck
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2009
              • RYOBI BT3000

Clamp Collection

Jack, you have enough clamps to....I can't think of anything clever to say.

I'd say your glue joints never fail.

Comment

Working...