• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guycox
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Romulak, VA, USA.

SubPanel for my new OneWay2426?

I was able to pick a up a OneWay 2436 lathe at a pretty good price - I've had to put it in the FIL's basement since mine was just too small.

He had recently removed a resistive heat furnace and replaced it with a GasPack - so we both thought that the old furnace was surely 220V 30A circuit. Well I checked today and it's wired with a 6/2 G - so it has to be 110V. So it looks like I've got to run 220V about 75' from the existing main to get the lathe up and runnnig; so I might as well run enough for a subpanel so that I'll eventually be able to put the air compressor, vaccum pump and dust collector into the shop as well. The main panel is 200A and has a couple of open spots so removing the exisiting 6/2 circuit and the couple of spare 20A's I figure I'm good for a 70A subpanel. I checked with Lowes and they have a 70A subpanel but no 70A breakers ..

What is the best way to set this up?
    Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
    What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

The old furnace could have been 220v. 6/2wG is just fine for straight 220v and was often used in the past with 220v for the heat and 110v taken from one leg for the blower. Check what the breaker was, most likely it was a 60A double pole breaker.

Can't use that wire now for a sub-panel but you could wire a straight 220v tool with it if it's in good shape and not cloth coated. (I think most places will not allow reusing the old cloth insulated wire. (ok it's not really cloth just feels like it.))

Must be nice to have a FIL with space and a willingness to share it with you. Good luck with it.

Bill.
    Last edited by Mr__Bill; 12-12-2009, 08:14 PM. Reason: someday i'll trust the spellchecker

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Double-pole breaker means 220v. Check for it. I can't imagine a resistive heater being wired 110v...

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Check for double pole for that old furnace. My air handler in the basement is wired with 6/2 for a 220V 60A circuit. It is legal if you don't need a neutral for anything. Since early 90s ranges and dryers need 4 wires because they have some 110V components and you can no longer use the ground as a neutral.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• guycox
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Romulak, VA, USA.

it's a double pole breaker but I got thrown by the lack of a neutral at what was previously the furnace end of the run -- so to connect to a L6-30P two of the wires to the flat blades the ground to the "L"...?
          Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
          What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

The ground does go to the L. Like I said, it is legal if you don't need a neutral for 110V. My air handler doesn't, so it has 2 hots and the ground.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington
              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

Ok everyone, electric furnaces are 240Volt with 240 volt fans. they do not have any 110v components in them at all.

6/2 wG is a common feed for a 10KW furnace. check your lathe if it is 220volt it doesn't necessarly need a neutral unless something on it is 110 v. My planer is a 3 HP 240vac motor and the feed is run on an 8/2wg as it does not use a neautral for anything.

Most 240 v devices do not use 110 and do not require a neutral.

wiring typically is L1- black wire , L2 - white wire the bare wire goes to the ground terminal

L1 to L2 is 240 vac most people think that in order to get 240 vac you need to add 2 110 vac lines together, that is not correct.

The transformers are 240 volt with the center of the winding grounded. The grounded center tap terminal at the transformer is used for the neutral.
              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

Working...