• Show
Clear All
  • JimDantin
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2009
    • Prospect, KY
    • BT3000

Gluebo workbench help

the workbench project in the November Popular Woodworking is just what I've been looking for. I've followed the blogs, but missed picking up a copy of the magazine before the December issue hit the shelves. Now I have a chance to pick up some LVL beams at a bargain. I downloaded the Sketchup model, but can't get the article or even the cut list for a couple weeks.

HELP!

If you have a copy of the magazine, I'd appreciate a scan of the article, or a cut list. I need to pre-cut the beams to get them home and don't want to make any mistakes at this early stage of the project.

If you're in the Louisville, KY area, I have enough beams for two benches, so I'd be happy to share. If you don't have a clue what I'm blathering on about, see this

thanks
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I've got the mag at home, I can hopefully scan it tonight if someone hasn't hooked you up before then.
    Erik

Comment

• chabin76
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2005
      • Edmond, OK, USA.
      • BT3100

Jim,

Just from looking at the blog it looks like it is an 8ft x 24" bench (assuming that the door on the bench is a standard interior door. That size is a fairly common bench size.

Good luck.

matt

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Hmm... you know I got a 16' x 16" wide x 1.5" thick LVL as part of a lumber deal that I don't know what else to do with. I will see what kind of shape it is in but maybe it can become the bench top. Thanks for the idea. It never occurred to me to do that.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JimDantin
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2009
          • Prospect, KY
          • BT3000

Even if you have to buy more LVL for the legs and stringers, you're going to be able to build a very sturdy bench for a bargain price.

To make a 24" top, you'll need 16 of the 8' strips. With 16" width to work with, you'll get 2" wide strips (minus kerf loss) Not quite the 2.5" that the design specifies, but still quite nice.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I was playing with dimensions some. I worked it out 2" thick too. I might do a slightly narrower bench than 24". I have Chris Schwartz' book and he says in it that 24" is about as wide as you want to go to be able to reach across it comfortably. I think there might be a shorter LVL in the stack too. I need to check that.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JimDantin
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2009
              • Prospect, KY
              • BT3000

I picked up the beams today - all 560 pounds of them. The seller is a very nice guy and he helped me rough cut all four of them so I could get them home. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out how to squeeze two complete benches out of the 4 beams, but it just didn't work. I do have enough extra material for a second top, plus some.

If anyone is interested in buying or bartering for the extra pieces, contact me.

Scored big again on Craigslist -- DeWalt DW735 with infeed/outfeed wings, sharp knives, and the DW7350 stand -- for $300!

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Cool, you're going to have to keep everyone updated on the build.

That's a nice planer too. I bought one a couple years ago and it has been great.
                Erik

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by JimDantin
                  Scored big again on Craigslist -- DeWalt DW735 with infeed/outfeed wings, sharp knives, and the DW7350 stand -- for $300!
                  Wow.

And wow on the beams, too.

Can't wait to see some pics.

Comment

Working...