• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Winter and Summer Transitions

As this 72 year old body is getting more and more sensitive to cold, I feel the need to park my pickup in the garage during the winter months. As some of you know, Alaska has only two seasons – winter and construction. Winter lasts from October to May. Hence the need to be able to alternate my shop between winter and summer modes. Also, there has been some interest in squeezing as many tools as possible into as small a space as possible. The attached photos show a work in progress toward this end.

First, though, all the cabinets are shop-built and everything is mounted on dual-locking castors and can be moved as needed. Also, I recently upgraded from a Shop-Vac dust collection system to a Jet 650 (canister model) DC. I chose that model because it fits under existing wall cabinets. The only tool that gave me pause was the BS, but I was able to locate in a space between cabinets used for an exhaust fan.

Most of the cabinets are built using MDF, but some used birch plywood. The shop-built cabinets do not extend more than 22 inches out from the garage wall and the main work area shown in Winter #3 is roughly 8 x 16 feet. The metal cabinets (Summer assembly table) are from SAM'S Club as are the work tables they slide under.

I tried to load the pictures in order, but I couldn't make that work. Shots taken from approximately the same angles are: Winter #2 and Summer #1, Winter #3 and Summer #3. The other shots show different views of the summer and winter work areas.

Sorry, Rod K., but my shop is a tad dustier than yours – otherwise, thanks for all the MDF construction ideas.

Thanks for looking, regards, Steve
    Attached Files
  • siliconbauhaus
    • Dec 2006
    • hagerstown, md

Wow. That has to be the biggest bt3 table set up I've seen so far....very nice mate.

Overall it looks great....shame you have such a small window of time to enjoy it.
    パトリック
    daiku woodworking
    ^deshi^
    neoshed

Comment

• steve-norrell
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • The Great Land - Alaska
      • BT3100-1

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
      ....shame you have such a small window of time to enjoy it.
      I know you mean because of winter and not because I am 72 and pushing the actuarial tables.

The work area is arranged so I can use it all year long. During the winter I am limited to a much smaller space with a reduced work area. The BT3X setup has rail extensions on both sides, 31 in. to the right (work surface) and 41 in. to the left (router side). The extensions are both supported by two sets of legs and connected to the main rails with the usual rail attachment hardware seen elsewhere on this forum.

Regards, Steve

Added note: The BT3X table, including router and work area is just an inch or two over 9 feet. SN

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by steve-norrell

Added note: The BT3X table, including router and work area is just an inch or two over 9 feet. SN

You should move south and then you could enjoy your shop year round. Heck this past winter the 2nd week of January I was outside in a t-shirt.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

If I had the space I'd love to build a table that big
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

This is David's reply to this:
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by steve-norrell View Post

Originally posted by crokett

You should move south and then you could enjoy your shop year round. Heck this past winter the 2nd week of January I was outside in a t-shirt.
            If he added another 11 inches, he could be in your back yard.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• herb fellows
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • New York City
              • bt3100

Now look what you made me do! I drooled all over my keyboard looking at the space you have!
              You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

Working...