• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I have a few sleds, too!

Members have posted a couple of good threads recently showing their sleds, so in the interest of completeness I though I'd show mine. drumpriest's fine work is shown here. And b0330923 showed some very cool stuff here.

My BT3K has MSTs on both sides, so all my sleds except one have two runners.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	The table saw.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	794140

Here's the crosscut sled. I tried to make it do bevel cuts, too, but that was a mistake. It still works reasonably well for regular crosscuts, so I haven't rebuilt it yet. Note the high-tech stop block.

Name:	Crosscut sled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	794142

The bevel cut sled was built using the same techniques as the crosscut sled. I made a longer fence this time and re-used the stop block. I've made a number of boxes with miter corners using this sled and it seems to be pretty well dialed in.

Name:	Bevel sled.jpg
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	794141

This is my version of what Bill calls a spline-kerfing sled. I'm not 100% sure that's the official name, but it sure is a good one! Note the stop block. Now that it's on three sleds I officially dub it The JR Stop Block System. The kerfs on the jig had gotten a little sloppy, so I have put 1/8" hardboard on the faces, acting like a zero clearance throat plate. If you ever wanted to avoid tearout it's when you're making cuts with a sled like this.

Name:	Miter reinforcer.jpg
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	794143

Finally, here's my mini-bomber. I made two stop blocks, one for lengths within the range of the fences and one for extended range.

Name:	Miter sled.jpg
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	794144

Thanks for looking!
    JR
    JR
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Very cool sleds JR. Wish I had room for MSTs on both side like you. I like the generous platform on that bevel sled - gonna hafta try'n make me one of those. I also like your Stop Block system on the bomber sled - especially the extended range ones, which I'll need to modify my sled to accommodate.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by JR
      Note the stop block. Now that it's on three sleds I officially dub it The JR Stop Block System.
      Great sleds, but I simply can't agree to your nomenclature, JR. The jig is shown in two varieties, so should be called the "JRe Stop Block System" and the "JRi Stop Block System."

Ray
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

You missed your calling, Ray. A future in marketing awaits you!

JR
        JR

Comment

• pbui3057
          Established Member
          • Jul 2008
          • Mather, CA
          • BT3000

Do you use the SMT at all anymore? I like the look of the dual miter slots but I like the novelty of the SMT.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

My SMT is getting less and less use as time goes on. I like it, too, but I found the MST put it a little too far from the blade. The result was a tendency to rack a bit as it was moved through its range of operation.

The extension of the SMT on the front of the saw also presents a challenge in my small shop. This led to removing when not in use. This means it has to be checked alignement whenever it's installed.

I still have it and will use for cuts done at odd angles, but that's about it.

JR
            JR

Comment

Working...