• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

I rocked my garage (evolved from an open underhouse carport), both walls and ceiling. Painted white. Only way to get a handle on dust.

LOTS OF LIGHT...you may not need it now but you will. I have 4 8' daylight fluorescent tubes in each bay.

After switching dryer and water heater to gas I had lots of space in the main panel, so I installed a sub-panel and surfaced mounted conduit. I have 4 circuits, one 220 and three 110. Each outlet box (there are 5) is a fourplex with two of the circuits. They are spread out over two walls. I have enough room in the sub-panel to switch a 110 over to 220 if I needed it, but it takes two big 220 machines to overload a 20amp 220 line.

The lights and "utility" outlets have their own circuit back to the main box, but this is only because of the sequence of events.

So, sub-panel is a must, lots of outlets and lots of light.
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

I am in the middle of rewiring my new shop and have had some of these issues.

Pulling power off the HVAC is a very bad idea. Run a new circuit from your main panel to your garage sub. I am going to run 100A to mine. You probably don't need that much but if you are paying to have the work done, the labor costs are the same and materials are nearly so between, say 60 and 100A.

Try to have at least 4 120V circuits - 2 for lights and 2 for power. That way if something goes wrong with any one, you have both power and light to fix things. . Plus you can separate dust collection and tools on their own circuits. I would also plan on at least 1 220V I would run conduit on the wall surface. I wish I'd done that for my shop but am halfway through cutting sheathing back so will finish doing that. Put in more outlets than you think you will need. I think I have enough for my shop, even will add a couple where I don't ever plan to use them, just in case.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gjat
        • Nov 2005
        • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by jkristia
        hmmm - maybe I should talk to an electrician before I plan anything.
        EXACTLY! You should be able to find an electrician that will let you do a portion (labor intensive and low skill) and he will do the high level stuff that he can have don in a few hours. Often, the Box stores are just as cheap on the basic electrical needs.

Before you talk to him, make sure you know what you want for your shop. At least 1 220v circuit and three additional 120v circuits in addition to what's in the garage now. Split your lighting on two of the 120v circuits and have the other 120v for your heaviest tool in operation.

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii
          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Install as many 20A/110v outlets and at least 2-220V/10 or 30A outlets as possible. Surface mount conduit & boxes should be no problem, just run the conduit high on the celing so if you do hang wall cabinets it won't be in the way. I have 5-20A/110V outlet & 1-220V/10A outlet in my carport and have found that another 220V outlet would have been better. Install 3S light
          switches at every doorway.

Comment

• jkristia
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Simi Valley, CA

just got a quote from the electrician. There is an existing 220V/30A cable running from the panel to the garage which he will be able to reuse.

So I will get a subpanel with 220V/15A and 2x110V/20A circuits from the subpanel for $800 which to me seems reasonable. I was afraid he would have to run a new conduit all the way from the main panel through the attic and into the garage. IT might be the better solution, but most likely too expensive and not necessary, after all it is only a hobby and I dont use any 2 tools at the same time (well, once i get a DC I will be using 2 tools at once)

Edit - forgot to mention lighting will go on existing circuit in the garage.

Jesper
            Last edited by jkristia; 08-13-2009, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• jkristia
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Simi Valley, CA

Got the power installed. I got 2 x 110V/20A and 2 x 220V/20A circuit, but since he re-used existing wires the break in the main panel is 30A, but at least it should be sufficient for me to run DC and one tool at the same time.

Jesper
              Attached Files

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Looks good! That will defienetley get you going.

JR
                JR

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

It's may be only 30 amps, but that's 30 amps at 220v. That's quite a bit of juice for a garage shop.
                  Erik

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

You won't have problems. My first house I had a 10x12 shed. I fed it from the house panel with 30A (at 115V though) and wired a fuse box in the shed with two fuses. I had 15A for two outlets and lights and 20A for tools. I ran the lights, shop vac and TS with no problems.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

Working...