• Show
Clear All
  • cobob
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Rolla, MO, USA.
    • BT3100

wiring flourescent fixtures

I am adding a second 4 bulb flourescent fixture I salvaged. The first is hung from chains S hooked to the garage ceiling. It is plugged into the garage door opener outlet. Can I splice the second fixture to the first's electrical cord
    Last edited by cobob; 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Do you mean directly splice the wires so they form a "Y"? NO! The splice needs to be in an enclosure of some type for fire safety reasons. you could splice one fixture into the other inside the other fixture. you could add a junction box outside of the fixture. the easiest and simplist way would be to use an extension cord with two receptacles on the end.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Maybe this?

Comment

• cobob
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Rolla, MO, USA.
        • BT3100

Thanks Tom. The electrical cord is extra long. So, I could cut it; run the wiring from fixture 1 to fixture 2 & & tie in the cord that goes to the outlet inside fixture 2...wired in series so to speak? Now that I think a bit. I could splice wiring coming from each fixture to the cord coming from the outlet. It's the same as using a multi plug outlet. I would use wiring nuts & electrical tape to excess of course...& make sure to home insurance is paid up.
        Last edited by cobob; 04-26-2009, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

You could daisy-chain them together in parallel, but as soon as you do that one of the fixtures will need to be moved and the cord will then not be long enough. Best to just put a multiple in the GD opener outlet and use two cords. Remember the older florescent fixtures need to be grounded for the lamps to not burn out right a way. Not sure about the newer ones.

Bill,

Comment

• cobob
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Rolla, MO, USA.
            • BT3100

Of course ya'll are right. I'm over thinking. Use a GD multiple. I'll have to reaquaint myself with the KISS Principle ... Keep It Simple Stupid.

Comment

Working...