Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

New Shop Update

Here is what the shop looks like now:

This is after 3 days. I would never have committed to this if I'd known the sellers crew would only be available on Friday. I expected them to be there all weekend but I guess life happens. However I think the worst is over. Once the roof comes down, in theory it will go faster. I guess we will see. My biggest worry now is the insulation in the walls and it getting wet. I REALLY do not want to have to pull the sheathing inside to replace it.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

David,

You don't sit still very long do ya? I'm the same way. If you're worried about the isnulation getting wet, you might want to string a tarp over it just to stop even a little moisture. Last thing you want is moisture in the walls.
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

You're making me jealous. It will all be worth it when things calm down a little.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• capnjack2
        Forum Newbie
        • Jul 2007
        • East Setauket, NY
        • BT 3100

Crokett, I just checked WetherBug for your location and you're looking at a good rain the day after tomorrow. TARP IT, DUDE!

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Amen to that, tarp it or its toast
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

The tarp is going on this afternoon. What is the best way to secure it to the building? Or will the weight keep it in place?
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Don't rely on gravity! mechanical fasteners such as rope, nails or staples are a must. It would not take much more than a modest wind to lift and remove a tarp.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Shep
                • Nov 2008
                • Columbus, OH
                • Hitachi C10FL

I would just use the eyelet holes on the tarp and nail it down. I would nail it just below the top of the wall on the outside. A few nail holes will be easy to fix. Good Luck!
                -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I did screws through some scrap pine I had. I sure hope it stays dry till the weekend. I will be glad when the friggin thing is home at my house.

Now for some questions....

The floor will have to get sectioned off. The floor joists run across the 16' dimension. My plan is to cut the flooring parallel to the joists along one side and cut the band about every 4' or so. Then cut 2' out of the middle of the flooring along the length of the shop. That way I can insert a nailer to sister the josts back together and I will join the band back together with metal plates. I will run 3 4x6s or 6x6 beams the length ot the shop 1 each side and 1 down the middle. This way all the cuts are resting on a support. Question, can I do 3 concrete footers per beam for spacing of 12' with the 4x6s or do spacing of 8'? Or upgrade to 6x6s? and do 12' spans? I see varying opinions online.
                  Last edited by crokett; 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM.
                  David

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

How around going to get the TS stable on all that sand?
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...