• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Trolling for Opinions

I'm trying to finalize the size of cabinets and countertops for a new shop. This is the approximate layout, except that I'm showing a cyclone DC when I will probably use a Delta two-bagger.

Space at the top right is for lumber storage. Space on the right directly opposite the doors is for 12 linear feet of cabinets and countertops. I will hang clamps...somewhere and I'm planning to install slatwall instead of pegboard for tool storage. One or perhaps two assembly/utility tables are also not shown.

At this stage, I'm thinking the 12' counter will be around 37" high, which is a bit shorter than our kitchen counters, and 24 inches deep. With a 4" toe kick and as much as 2 3/4" thickness for the countertops (I have a piece of butcher block I may use), that leaves me with about 28 1/2 inches of interior space for the drawers that will sit underneath (and support) the counter.

For the uppers, I'm thinking two 24inch wide by 24 inch deep by 54 inch tall cabinets at the ends and 8 feet of 18 inch deep by 24 inch tall cabinets in the middle The ceiling will be an odd height (91 3/4) to accommodate supports for the garage above so the bottom of the uppers in the middle would be at 5'7 which is fine for me.

That works out to 67 cubic feet of cabinets and 54 cubic feet of drawers.

I'm curious to know what others have done and what has and has not worked for you.
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Man, there's so much personal preference involved in shop design. I would choose to leave the base cabinets free of overhead cabs and move those overheads to the bottom wall. Make them high enough that you can roll your machines under them when not in use. Move the DC to the bottom right corner so that you can have two separate runs which you can shut off at will. At the current time you may only choose to have a run along the bottom wall with gates at each machine or at two or three ports if you are sharing a hose or two with different machines. I like to have the overhead space above the base cabinets free of obstructions and prefer to have tool racks and maybe some more cabs on the ends. My writing is a bit disoriented but I hope that you get the drift. There's no perfect way - just the way that works best for you. Some of the better heads will surely pipe-in with some good ideas. Have fun with your project. Mine never seems to stop!
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

Working...