• Show
Clear All
  • Jay Yoder
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2008
    • NE Ohio
    • Jet Xacto Deluxe

French cleat wall system question

I am contemplating adding a french cleat wall section to my basement workshop to allow some flexibility for the future. I have built a clamp storage rack and plan on adding a storage cabinet next. I need to mount it to an outside concrete block wall which is load-bearing. Instead of drilling the concrete block for multiple layers of "receiving" cleats, i was thinking of anchoring a sheet to the upper wooden plate. Then mounting the receiving cleats on this. I was wondering if i could use either a sheet of 5/8" OSB or a sheet of T-111. I am planning on painting it white to "lighten" things. The reason for this is that i already have 1 of each and really not sure what else i could use it for. Especially the OSB. I Was wondering how the OSB would survive being that the load will always put it in a tension state. I tried to add a pic, but it is too big...i think i described it fully above. Thanks for your input!!
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Jay Yoder
    i was thinking of anchoring a sheet to the upper wooden plate. Then mounting the receiving cleats on this. I was wondering if i could use either a sheet of 5/8" OSB or a sheet of T-111. I
    I cant really picture what you are trying to do here. Whats the "upper wooden plate?" The key question is what will be bearing all the weight?

If this is to be a permanent installation then adding a "false" stud and panel overlay on top of the block wall would give you plenty of strength and lots of options.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• just started
      • Mar 2008
      • suburban Philly

I think I would go with Jon on this and glue some 2x3's to the block and then put up the osb and your cleats. Depending on how much weight you plan on putting on the cleats, I think the nails would eventually pull out of the osb at the top plate.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
        • Feb 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.

I would be very concerned about the overall strength of a french cleat mounted to OSB, especially only 5/8"-thick. I wouldn't use OSB at any thickness for supporting a french cleat. I always secure french cleats directly to studs, with 3"-long screws (big ones). I probably would go right into the concrete block with good concrete fasteners, or use the other suggestion of covering the concrete with a stud wall so I could screw the cleat to the studs. French Cleats are very strong, but they can only be as strong as the material they are connected to.
        Tom Hintz
        NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Tom Hintz
          I would be very concerned about the overall strength of a french cleat mounted to OSB, especially only 5/8"-thick. I wouldn't use OSB at any thickness for supporting a french cleat. I always secure french cleats directly to studs, with 3"-long screws (big ones). I probably would go right into the concrete block with good concrete fasteners, or use the other suggestion of covering the concrete with a stud wall so I could screw the cleat to the studs. French Cleats are very strong, but they can only be as strong as the material they are connected to.

I agree with this 100%. I would use at a minimum 3/4" plywood instead of OSB, if applying to the block. That would disperse the load better than direct attachment to the block. But, if done correctly, you could attach the cleat to the block. Tapcons may hold without breaking out the block, or you could use 1/4-20 toggle bolts and recess the heads.

Installing a stud wall, or even a furred out wall with plywood, would give more for screws to hold than just the block.

Comment

Working...