• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjmac44
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2006
    • Omaha, Nebraska

Unloading Grizzly G0513X2 Bandsaw

I Purchased a Grizzly GO513X2 on Tuesday. Well, it is already here at the shipper. They called today to see when and how to take delivery. Lift gate was kinda more then I want to spend, plus I would have to take a half day of vacation. So they said show up with a pickup and they would load it for me. Sweet. But when I get home????? I was thinking some 2X10s from bed of truck to ground and a heavy duty dolly and a lot of muscle to bring it down the ramp. It weighst 418. Is this a crazy idea?

Oh yeah. Purchase price $895 + $96 shipping. But microsft has a 20 %promotion for cash back on ebay when u use your paypal account = $179.
    $812 when all done.
    Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.
  • mpc
    • Feb 2005
    • Cypress, CA, USA.
    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Leave it on the truck and open the box. Take it out piece by piece if possible. Once you've removed as much weight as possible, THEN use the hand truck (carefully) to deal with the remainder. I'm not sure 2x10s wouldn't flex a lot either; nail a 2x4 to the edges of each one to stiffen them... and to make tracks that'll capture/guide your handtruck wheels.

400+lbs is a LOT to muscle on a hand truck down a steep incline. Be careful. Can you park the truck on the street and put the ramp to the curb or half way up the driveway to minimize the slope? Let some air out of the truck tires?

mpc

Comment

• p8ntblr
      • Jan 2007
      • So Cal
      • Craftsman 22114

I haven't done this myself but alot of people have used a cherry picker. You can get one at HF for around $100 and use it for further larger tools or re-sell.
      -Paul

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

I used a couple of 2X12's with my Griz 1023. I also as mpc said took every loose part out of the box. I got it out and into the shop by myself.... Hind sight being 20/20 I should have waited on some friends to come over after work to help. Having a new toy and no patience could have been a disaster. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• tewilk
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2007
          • Augusta, GA

Yep... when I brought my jointer home this what I did... took it out piece by piece. I was able to carry each piece so kinda do-able... not sure I would try the bandsaw. I vote to get some friends to help.

Originally posted by mpc
          Leave it on the truck and open the box. Take it out piece by piece if possible. Once you've removed as much weight as possible, THEN use the hand truck (carefully) to deal with the remainder. I'm not sure 2x10s wouldn't flex a lot either; nail a 2x4 to the edges of each one to stiffen them... and to make tracks that'll capture/guide your handtruck wheels.

400+lbs is a LOT to muscle on a hand truck down a steep incline. Be careful. Can you park the truck on the street and put the ramp to the curb or half way up the driveway to minimize the slope? Let some air out of the truck tires?

mpc

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Moving it piece by piece is the best idea, but if you don't want to or there is a piece too big for you to move by yourself, you can make some cribbing that will get you up close the height of the bed of your truck. Slide the box onto the cribbing then start removing pieces of wood until the box is at ground level. I moved a woodstove from my trailer and then down down 2' from a retaining wall doing this.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have the 513 but not the X2 version. I don't see how you can really do it
              piece by piece. The table and fence are separate, but the wheels and motor
              are already mounted. I wouldn't take those off because everything is
              already aligned, plus it's a uni-body saw so it's not like you can really take
              it apart.

I did get the lift gate service. The driver then hand carted it to my shop.
              There is a big screw-eye on the top of mine so you can use a hoist if you
              have one.

I saw online someone unload a cabinet saw from the back of a pickup. He
              had 2 stacks of wood that he would move the saw onto. He first pushed it
              onto one stack then lowered the adjacent stack and roll it to that stack
              and back and forth until it was on the ground.

Good luck,
              Paul

Edit: Oh wait. Do what Crokett said.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

Another option is to get three people. One in the truck to push the box out, two ooutside to slowly lower the box's end to the pavement. Once one corner is on dry land, you can tilt the box up on end.

You will first need to make sure that the long dimension of the box is laying on the truck bed. I move lots of things this wa by myself, but they aren't usually 400+ pounds, Maybe 200+.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• just started
                  • Mar 2008
                  • suburban Philly

GET HELP!!!!!!!

Comment

• jonmulzer
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Indianapolis, IN

Nah, if this guy can move tons of concrete by himself then you can engineer something to unload this.

Wally Wallington has demonstrated that he can lift a Stonehenge-sized pillar weighing 22,000 lbs and moved a barn over 300 ft. What makes this so special is ...

In all seriousness though, get help with this. The more help you have, the less likely you are to hurt yourself or your new toy.
                    "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

If you have to unload by yourself, what I've done is have the load length wise laying down on the bed. Use 2 x 12's or whatever you can scrounge up to carry the load and drop the gate and place the wood on an angle to the ground.

Dollies or hand trucks coming down a ramp can go wild (ever see the "Dollies Gone Wild" tape?). Anyway push the load out the back so it slowly gets onto the wood rails. They should provide enough friction not to slide fast. Even 3/4" ply has worked in some situations because the weight is dispersed, not centered.

When it gets within a dolly or hand truck clearance, rock it over. Having help would be a great idea, and just having the extra hands doesn't require Hulk Hogan (but it would make it even easier).

Comment

• Hellrazor
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Abyss, PA
                        • Ridgid R4512

Bring it to my house and I will show you how to unload it

Comment

• tjmac44
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Nov 2006
                          • Omaha, Nebraska

Went and picked it up today at UPS Freight. They brought it out on a fork lift and loaded it up in my dads 1/2 ton ford. The bandsaw was in a slat crate and wraped in plastic. Used 5 ratchet straps to secure it upright. 2 over the top. One near the bottom and 2 around the middle. It did not budge during the 5 mile trip home.

Once we got home we slid the 5013X2 to the tailgate and then lowered the top of the saw towards the cab until the back was resting on the floor of the bed. Once laying flat, we slowly pulled the saw off the end of the tailgate. The saw naturally pivoted and slowly lowered itself to the ground. Simple, was no more then a 2 person job.
                          Todd

Grounded in fly-over country.

Comment

• shoottx
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2008
                            • Plano, Texas
                            • BT3000

Glad you got it home and unloaded safely.

A little disappointed you did not come up with an engineering marvel to unload the saw.

I think if you told your story along these lines; UPS loaded it in my dad's pickup with a fork lift. We drove home and started backing up to the shop enterance. When dad hit the brakes the saw fell over. The sound of it falling startled dad and he hit the gas to leave and the saw slid out of the back of the truck and landed squarely on the ground. The great packing saved everything from being damaged.

May not be the truth but it is a better story
                            Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...