• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Clark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007
    • Deming, NM
    • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Designing Shop Cabinets

Since shop design is one of the main topics here, last year when I was just learning my way around the internet one of my first posts on BT3 was on building shop cabinets. It's hard to believe that it has had over 8,000 hits so far.

Since I started woodworking 20 years ago, building shop cabinets just became a fun thing for me to do, and playing on the internet during the summers when I am away from my shop has become another. This year we are in the mountains of NC for the summer, awaiting the arrival of cooler weather back in FL so we can go home.

Anyway, this years project was building a new web site, and one of the new pages is an essay on Designing Shop Cabinets. Since so many read last year's thread on building them, perhaps you might like to see it.
    The photo shows a new model building area I built this past winter. One of these days I will run out of room, but until then, still having fun. Enjoy!
    Attached Files
  • rjwaldren
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Fresno, CA

Thanks Tom,

You just reminded me to do something I've been meaning to do for some time - buy the book!

Checks in the mail...

Comment

• jonmulzer
      • Dec 2007
      • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by rjwaldren
      Checks in the mail...
      Oh....how many times I have heard that. lol

Great book. I just built the 5' workbench yesterday. It really is amazing how quickly you can do things when you simplify the process.
      "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• wan2fly
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2007
        • San Francisco Bay area
        • Craftsman 21829

Very nice shop

Tom, I also like the fact that you build model aircraft.
        I do too. You may have more better cabinets, but I have more airplanes hanging.
        A tool FOR every Job,
        and
        A tool FROM every job

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Tom (and everyone else), What kind of plywood do you use for your shop cabs? I've considered Baltic Birch, or regular BC plywood. I think hardwood veneer might be a bit much.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Tom Clark
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2007
            • Deming, NM

Originally posted by jonmulzer

Great book. I just built the 5' workbench yesterday. It really is amazing how quickly you can do things when you simplify the process.

Looking forward to seeing your photos of your new bench. Post it and help motivate everyone into improving their shop!!

Comment

• Tom Clark
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2007
              • Deming, NM

Originally posted by wan2fly
              Tom, I also like the fact that you build model aircraft.
              I do too. You may have more better cabinets, but I have more airplanes hanging.
              Since this is a woodworking forum I don't usually show the planes. Retired ones are hanging from the ceiling. Ready to fly are sitting at the shop door, ready to go when the mood strikes…
              Attached Files

Comment

• Tom Clark
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2007
                • Deming, NM

Originally posted by BobSch
                Tom (and everyone else), What kind of plywood do you use for your shop cabs? I've considered Baltic Birch, or regular BC plywood. I think hardwood veneer might be a bit much.

Bob, I started building drawer units from left over scraps of oak ply, from my telescope making business. When I moved to larger a larger shop, some utility cabinets were built from either AC or BC, (don't remember so many years later)

Anyway, I remember thinking at the time that the cheaper ply cost about $28 per sheet, and the oak was $40 at that time. For the $12 difference, since most cabinets only used a single sheet or less, of the 3/4" material, I stopped using the cheaper material. The oak really looked so nice, and the hardwood material was so nice to work with, had far fewer warps, and had few voids to repair. It was just a pleasure to work with. Bottom line is the last 15 or so cabinets were all built using the oak.

For drawers HD sells what they call Sandeply 1/2" material. It is 9 plies,( I think) and is a real pleasure to work with! It cost around $22 per sheet. Excellent drawer material. Lowes sells a similar material. Can't think of what they call it. Drawer bottoms and cabinet backs are either 1/4" oak or door skins, which is very inexpensive.

But the real bottom line is use what you are comfortable using and can afford. The most important thing is that you do build your cabinets to take up all that wasted space in your shop.

Compare the two photos below. Then decide which looks the best to you. Personally I just love the wild grain of the oak, and the warm look it gives the shop when it is finished.
                Attached Files

Comment

• jonmulzer
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by Tom Clark
                  Looking forward to seeing your photos of your new bench. Post it and help motivate everyone into improving their shop!!
                  Will do. It is storming like mad here and my basement is getting some water so I had to put all my lumber up on sawhorses and such or I would have it done today. Maybe it will stop and I can get back to it. The basic carcass is done though.

I love your book. After reading it I was in my shop and looked at my bandsaw and table saw differently. Those clunky metal stands were dying to be replaced by more storage. I still have to sketch out the details, but the plans are for a cabinet underneath it next with storage for my blades, jigs and etc. Your book is so simple, but it does wonders to help people change their way of thinking. It is KISS at its finest. I would buy it again if this copy ends up damaged. Thanks again Tom.
                  "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

Working...