• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Holders For Quick Grips

Looking for ideas and pictures of what some of you have come up with for dedicated storage for Quick Grip style clamps.

I did a search and found lots of different ideas for F bodies, aluminum clamps, and hand screws but I have them taken care of. The only thing I saw for the Quick grips was to clamp them on a 2x mounted on the wall and I would like to be able to grab one without having to mess with the release lever.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • mikel
    Established Member
    • Jul 2006
    • philadelphia
    • bt 3100

I use ceiling rafters...

...mikel

Comment

• jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Pappy,

I have several different types of clamp racks in my shop, most of which hang from the rafters. For small bar clamps and quick grips, I cut slots in the edge of a 2x4 and attached hangars on the ends. It's mounted 15 degrees off perpendicular (in case the earth moves!). If I remember, I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it. Not real pretty, but functional, within easy reach, and still out of the way.

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I built a rack for quick-grips that was basically a shelf that had slots for the bars and a lip a little ways back from the edge to hold the jaw. the clamps hung vertical and you lifted them about 1/4" and pulled them out. I didn't like the idea having to un-clamp the clamp to use it so I designed the rack to hold them securely with them open.

I don't have a picture, and it was at a previous job so I don't have one to show. If I can figure out a way to export an AutoCad drawing into something web friendly the design will make more sense.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

I have a strip of 1/4" ply suspended horizontally at 6' height. I clamp all my quick-grips side-by-side from it, bars down. A press of the release levers at hang-up leaves them just loose enough to slide right off one-handed when I need them. Until then, they wait quietly.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by Tom Slick
            If I can figure out a way to export an AutoCad drawing into something web friendly the design will make more sense.
            You can plot your drawing to either a .jpg file or a .pc3 file through the Plot Manager. These formats are available in the "None" plotter configuration.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • sears BT3 clone

I have Acad 2000, I can't seem to find an option for .jpg in plotting
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• poolhound
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2006
                • Phoenix, AZ
                • BT3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                The only thing I saw for the Quick grips was to clamp them on a 2x mounted on the wall and I would like to be able to grab one without having to mess with the release lever.
                Thats basically what I do, flicking the release lever and grabbing the handle at the same time seems to work OK, I can even grab 2 or 3 at a time this way.
                Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                techzibits.com

Comment

• Ed62
                  The Full Monte
                  • Oct 2006
                  • NW Indiana
                  • BT3K

I use floor joists to hold mine in the shop. In the garage I have a few hanging from a pegboard. No need to release those.

Ed
                  Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                    I have Acad 2000, I can't seem to find an option for .jpg in plotting
                    Ouch. Maybe 2000 didn't have it. Don't remember. I have 2002, 2006 and 2008 up and running, and it exists on all of them...

Comment

• Popeye
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Woodbine, Ga
                      • Grizzly 1023SL

I don't use the long ones but I have about 6 or 8 of the 6" variety and 4 or 6 of the 6" F bodies. I clamp them handle down from the end of a bench by the outfeed/assembly table (3 or 4) across the shop by my long RAS table I clamp another 3 or 4 from a narrow shelf that runs the length of the table and I have the f-bodies clamped to another shelf. My bar clamps and long F-bodies hang from 12" metal shelf brackets attached to studs. Pat
                      Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• wardprobst
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                        • Craftsman 22811

Originally posted by Pappy
                        Looking for ideas and pictures of what some of you have come up with for dedicated storage for Quick Grip style clamps.

I did a search and found lots of different ideas for F bodies, aluminum clamps, and hand screws but I have them taken care of. The only thing I saw for the Quick grips was to clamp them on a 2x mounted on the wall and I would like to be able to grab one without having to mess with the release lever.
                        Hey Don,
                        Hang 'em upside down. Cut slots in a piece of stock, mount it at a 5 degree angle. Uses the roll pin as a stop.
                        DP
                        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • sears BT3 clone

Let's see if this works

A line mysteriously disappeared in the top view on the middle left side. The drawing isn't to scale but a representation of the idea.

It was entirely made of 1/2" birch ply and used a 1/2" router bit for all of the dados and slots.

I exported a .eps from ACAD into photoshop then saved it as a .jpeg. during that process a little was lost in translation, literally!

Comment

• jackellis
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                            • BT3100

How about something like this. Not pretty but it works. I can mount F-clamps and quick-clamps in it.

Last edited by jackellis; 06-08-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Salty
                              • Feb 2006
                              • Akron, Ohio

Originally posted by mikel
                              I use ceiling rafters...

...mikel
                              Same for me. They just seem to be out of the way up there and easy to reach.
                              Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?

Comment

Working...