• Show
Clear All
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

The Regular Beatings Will Continue.

Last Sunday I was puttering around in the shop, tying up a few loose ends related to a recent shuffling of a few of my tools. One of these loose ends was to modify my dust collection piping network. Specifically, I was shortening the drop that formerly served the router table (one of the tools that moved) so it can connect to the drill press (which didn't move, but until now has had no DC provisions at all).

All was proceeding routinely until I pulled the PVC fittings and blast gate off the lower end of the vertical drop, and an alarming amount of dust showered down onto the floor.

"Uh-oh," I thought. "Never seen that happen before ... must be a blockage somewhere?"

I happened to remember just then that when I'd moved the router table a few days earlier, I'd found more than the usual amount of stray dust in the corners of its collection box. And, glancing around, it dawned on me that over the last couple of weeks, the shop had slowly but surely gotten a bit more dusty than normal. Dust collection at the miter saw, always substandard at best, had lately been non-existent. Same thing at the belt/spindle sander.

Hmm.

I grabbed the length of 4" hose from the router table, plugged its quick-disconnect fitting into the end of the drop I was working on, switched on the DC unit, and stooped down to vacuum up the dust that had fallen out. Usually, any dust or shavings within eight or 10 inches of the end of an open hose disappears like the Millennium Falcon jumping to light speed. Now, the system was drawing so little air that I had to position the hose end directly atop the debris to move it at all.

"Uh-oh," I thought again. "This is not good."

And that's when I noticed how quiet the DC seemed. Lately I've been trying to be more responsible about wearing hearing protection in the shop, really I have, and now that I was listening to the DC without my muffs on I realized that here was another important clue I'd missed. I also noticed how lethargically the contents of the clear bottom bag were swirling around.

And then it hit me: I've been cutting an awful lot of MDF lately.

Walking over to the DC unit, I put my hand up against the cannister filter, feeling for airflow. Nothing. I gave it a whack with my palm. A faint breath of air. Another, harder whack. The breath became a minor breeze. Still more whacking, and in less than a minute the DC was howling like its old self and the miniature tornado in the bottom bag was going like gangbusters.

Let's stay on top of that cannister maintenance, boys. Mine was almost completely plugged; a decrease in performance like I experienced can sneak up on you quicker than you'd think. A regular beating or blow-out with compressed air will help keep your DC system performing at its best.
    Larry
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Good reminder, Larry. IMHO, it's a good idea to do your cleaning as you shut down for the night. That allows the dust to settle into the bag, rather than get sucked right back into the filter.

FWIW - I did an unscientific examination of three cleaning methods, the results of which can be found at the bottom of this thread.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...highlight=blow

JR
    JR

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Uhmm... wouldn't taking the filter out and cleaning it be more effective than just whacking it?
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I have one of the thick 1 micron felt bags and give it a few good whacks with my hand from time to time and it seems to loosen any dust up there which drops into the collector bag.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Some days you wish you had a dust collector for your dust collector.

Other days, you wonder why they couldn't have put the motor at the top, so it would paddle itself when winding down.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• gugie
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Redwood City, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

I've had the same happen to me, and you've got me thinking...in cleanrooms they measure pressure differential to make sure everything is working. Most of the tools where I work alarm if it gets out of spec. We use photohelic gauges-industrial strength, and expensive. I'll see if I can find something inexpensive that would work in a DIY shop and post.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by gugie
              I've had the same happen to me, and you've got me thinking...in cleanrooms they measure pressure differential to make sure everything is working. Most of the tools where I work alarm if it gets out of spec. We use photohelic gauges-industrial strength, and expensive. I'll see if I can find something inexpensive that would work in a DIY shop and post.
              Haven't seen you around in a while (maybe our schedules don't match), glad to see you again!
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

Magnehelic guages aren't as expensive and are common for duct collection equipment.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...