• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve_b
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006
    • Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

12 ft span - overhead storage

I have the idea of creating a 12ft x 8ft overhead storage area in the garage. Since the 12ft span is the open side should the support structure be 2"x8" every 16" or could I get away with 2"x6" or ?

Area will be used for some wood storage, Christmas lights and the like..

Thanks

Stephen
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Stephen:

I built a similar storage rack for wood and fishing rods. Available headroom will dictate the hanging depth, including the thickness of the lower members. I opted for 1 x 2s hung with 'eye bolts' through the wider dimension; every four feet seems to be working for me, but I don't overload the rack. Short chains connect to hooks in the ceiling joists.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

Mine runs 20 feet but I have it tied to floor joists above about every 4 feet. I used electrical conduit flattened where it connects. I have sat on it so I consider it pretty strong. The structure is just 2x4s.

Jim

Comment

• bigstick509
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Macomb, MI, USA.
        • BT3100

2" x 6" should be plenty, I did a small 4' x 8' storage area using angle bracket and then used doubled 2" x 4" for extra support on the advise of a fellow member of BT3Central. All support went into ceiling joists that are 24" on center.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...