• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Coating angle iron

OK, so I've figured out that 3 ways of cutting the angle iron reinforcement for my table saw fence rails will work OK. And that I can even justify buying another tool to do so! How about coating it to prevent rust? It's kinda dusty right now, leaving black powder on one's hands, so I figure that first I'll have to clean that stuff off. How?

Then, it feels a bit rough, but I can't see how to smooth it without major grinding and polishing. And perfect smoothness really isn't necessary. Should I take a wire wheel to it? Or just clean off the dust (see above), prime, and paint it, using Rustoleum? Powder coating would be nice, but I suspect that might be pricey for a couple 5' lengths of angle iron.
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • Tequila
    • Aug 2004
    • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Sears has a powder coating gun if you want to justify buying a second tool...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=powder+coat
    -Joe

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Yeah, Joe, and then there's the 400 degree oven big enough to hold a 5' length of powder-coated steel! Maybe my local pizza parlor?
      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
        • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

The simplest way to clean it up is to first, degrease it with your favorite product - Simple Green should work and be kind to Mama Earth. Then, use a wire wheel or a coarse flapper wheel in a drill to remove the scale. You can also draw file it (holding the file horizontally with one hand on each end and pulling toward you) but that's not possible for the inside faces. This process can actually produce a very smooth finish but that's not really what you're after. Then, simply primer with Rustoeum and hit with a finish coat.
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• gjat
          • Nov 2005
          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
          • BT3100

Just make sure it's clean and put cold galv on it. To make it smooth where it will pick up less dirt, hit it with any other paint. It's not going to rust inside.

Comment

• iceman61
            • Oct 2007
            • West TN
            • Bosch 4100-09

Exactly as everyone has said thus far, but drill your holes 1st. Don't forget to slow your drill bit down when you drill mounting holes in it & use some cutting oil if you have it. Then degrease it,wirebrush it, maybe followed by some light sanding, prime & paint. Alot of steel has a lubricant or pickling agent on it. That's the only thing I didn't like when I was working in a fab shop. Steel & iron will get you nasty really quick. You definately don't want to wearing your "good jeans" when you do any steel work.
            Last edited by iceman61; 03-20-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...