• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Cutting angle iron

I'm installing a router table on the right side of my Craftsman 22114 table saw. Need to move the fence rails to the right to provide support, and since they are aluminum, I'm supplementing with 1/8" thick 1-1/2" angle iron. (Actually soft steel, I believe.) The angle iron comes in 6' lengths, I need 5'. How to cut? I have a hack saw, and a jig saw for which I could pick up metal cutting blades. I also have a Dremel, for which I could buy little metal cutting disks.

The hack saw seems tedious. The jig saw might work OK. Dremel seems light duty. What do you think?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • iceman61
    • Oct 2007
    • West TN
    • Bosch 4100-09

Given those choices I'd opt for the jig saw with metal blades. The dremel isn't going to get it. A 4 1/2" hand held grinder would also work well if you have one.

Comment

• Long Shadow
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2007

Sometimes simple is better. If you have a good (sturdy) frame and a decent blade the hacksaw will do the job nicely and be easiest to control. It won't take so long as to be tedious. Cut it and de-burr with a file and you'll be good to go.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Here's a grinder for just a few coins:

However, if you're going to use it a good bit in the future, spend the extra money and get something a little nicer.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
          • Aug 2007
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • BT-3000, 21829

I keep a $10 HF angle grinder with a metal-cutting disk on the shelf. It's amazing what you can do with this tool. You can cut bolts, threaded rod, re-rod. An indispensable tool, IMO.
          You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
          of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

jig saw with a 24tpi bimetal blade will work ok. if it is only a couple of cuts a hack saw is not that slow.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

Seems like a good excuse for an angle grinder to me too. The only alternative I do not suggest is the dremel. For little stuff it is fine but you will use up a bunch of discs on 1 1/2 angle iron. The angle grinder will go through the angle iron quickly on one disc that will still be plenty usable.

Jim

Comment

• 182much
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2008
                • Norco, CA

how about

A circular saw with a corbaridum (sp) blade?
                Will also smooth the ends

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I used to use a saw-zall with a metal blade.. but do it now with a Bosch barrel grip jig-saw with a Bosch 24 T metal blade. The Bosch will hold a true line very easily free-hand and run through 1/8" x 1 1/2" in about 20 seconds.

A chore I used to hate as I cut metal quite often... but now I chore I almost look forward to... Bring it on!

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

cutting angle iron

You might want to use a metal cutting abrasive disc/blade made of carborundum as a previous poster suggested. Install it in your circular saw in place of the regular blade and start cutting. It is the easiest and fastest way to cut metal, it will make a shower of sparks, but is a lot better than a hacksaw or dremel tool for sure. eezlock

Comment

• dlminehart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Well, I bought and used the HF cut-off grinder. It did the job, but (a) took about 5-10 minutes per cut, and (b) did not give clean, square results. I'm going to try the Bosch jigsaw with Bosch metal-cutting blades to touch up the cut ends.
                      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...