• Show
Clear All
  • lrogers
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Mobile, AL. USA.
    • BT3000

light fixtures

I'll soon be starting on the power up grade for shop. Part of this upgrade will include new light fixtures. I'm thinking about installing two, 8' twin bulb fixtures, one each side of centerline, in place of the orginal lights. Do you think this give sufficent light for a 20'x20' area? I'm sure it will be better than I have now, but I want to do it right the first time (what a concept!)
    Larry R. Rogers
    The Samurai Wood Butcher
    http://splash54.multiply.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I'd be inclined to go with 2 light four footers. First I would do a physical layout to see where you will be doing what. You could sketch out a floor plan, and do an overlay on tracing paper for the lighting.

With just using eight footers, you may wind up with some low light areas. One 8' fixture will cost more than two four footers, and the lamps will cost more. Rearranging the lighting would be more difficult with eight footers.

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

My shop is 18 x20. I used two 8 foot fixtures and they provide enough light.
      I did go with the VHO type light(( very high output) They start much better than the 4 footers that I had been using,There only a little slow comming up to full bright when the temp is in the low teens.The 4 footlights took way to long to come up to full bright. You can get special low temp ballests for low temp climates if you have any problems.My lights are two tubes per unit. HTH
      Wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

What's your ceiling height? I have an article from a back issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine that gives some good formulas for working out the quantity and spacing of lighting fixtures, but one of the important variables is the distance from the ceiling to the tops of your work surfaces. Another is your age: people over 40 need more light than do youngsters.

The higher the ceiling, and the younger you are, the fewer fixtures you need. In my 21x23 (clear inside) shop, I have 25 (I think) two-bulb, 4' fixtures ... partly because the ceiling height is only seven feet and that meant I needed more fixtures; partly because the layout of the ceiling joists (between which the fixtures had to fit) complicated the layout; and partly because my eyes are 55 years old.

FWIW, I can tell you even now that for a 20x20 shop the article indicates either six or eight 8' fixtures, depending on the ceiling height. Bulb wattage will make a difference, too.
        Larry

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

Go with 4' T8 fixtures. They are more energy efficient,etc.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

Ceiling height and natural light are factors. If you have a shop with some natural light you might consider more 4' twin lamp fixtures, but switch half of them independantly. You'd get a little energy savings.
            Erik

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

In the next couple of years they are planning to phase out T12 fixtures, bulbs, and parts. those are the traditional fat fluorescent bulbs like the 8' bulbs you are thinking of.

4' T8 bulbs are what you want. get 5000k or 6000k "daylight" bulbs to put in them. they are 30% more effecient, perform better in cold weather, more light, longer life....just plain better
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• lrogers
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Mobile, AL. USA.
                • BT3000

Thanks guys! Good info here.
                Larry R. Rogers
                The Samurai Wood Butcher
                http://splash54.multiply.com
                http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                  • Delta Contractor Saw

I just changed all of my bulbs to the "daylight" bulbs and was amazed at the improvement. My shop is 22X22 and I have five 4' fixtures over my main work areas. I still have to use temp lighting in a couple of situations but that's primarily from all the "stuff" I have hanging from my rafters.

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

+1 on T8s, on daylight bulbs, and on switching half the fixtures independently. I wired the fixtures in my shop in sort of a checkboard pattern, with the "red" fixtures on one switch and the "black" on another (and these are separate circuits, too, at the subpanel). Most of the time, when I'm doing something that doesn't require a huge amount of light -- milling lumber four-square, say -- I can easily get by with turning on only half the lights, especially if it's a bright day with lots of sunlight streaming through the two south-facing windows.
                    Larry

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

I have five 4' double fixtures in my 20x30 shop/garage, plus a couple on/off fixtures over close work areas. I have 9.5' ceilings, finished and painted white. Still had to go with HO tubes a couple years ago to brighten things up. I think you have to concentrate your efforts on the areas where you will do the most work, and let those in between bathe in the overflow.

Since you are wiring new, why not figure a couple of additional fixtures into the load and wiring calculations, so if you decide later you need more light, you already have the capacity to add fixtures built in. Better than scrambling later.

Comment

• ke4rdb
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Mooresville, NC
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Hi,
                        I have a 27x27 shop w/10ft ceilings and have 5 - 8ft double fixtures and it really isn't enough. I still run extra point lighting on the lathes and a mag 60watt fixture on my bandsaw.

JW
                        Credidi me felem vidisse!

Comment

Working...