X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnam
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2006

HF Mortiser & XY slide vise adaptation

I've seen a bout two different versions of this adaptation on the web but most required turning the base of the mortiser around which of course makes the foot print deeper. One even required cutting the cast base.

Here is my solution so I can use the HF 4" XY vise on the HF mortiser.

http://tarimagica.com/jna/

I had to drill a couple of inset holes to precisely match the rods of the mortiser. This was the hardest thing to do as I missed it by a bout 1mm. I simply borred the hole slightly and the rods fit smothely.

My welding imprived greatly and I managed a half way decent bead.

The materials is 3 6" top and bottom 1/4"x2 steel plates and 3 5" 1/4"x2" steel verticle plates that as welded and then bolted to the oroginal base raising the mortiser about 6".

The XY vise then fits with plenty of space. In fact, 6" may be too much, I might have to make another one just 4" high.
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Very interesting! Can you comment on improvements in the mortises due to this upgrade?

I've been getting some inconsistent edges on my mortises, s I've been trying to dream up improvements to fence alignment. The X-Y vise would seem to have obvious benefits in this regard.

JR
    JR

Comment

• dkhoward
      • Dec 2003
      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
      • bt3000

That is pretty slick. Way better than mine (which is also of the reversed base arrangement) I dont suppose you have any scaled drawings do you?
      Dennis K Howard
      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...