Rubber feet for shop workbench - suggestions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hobiedog
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

Rubber feet for shop workbench - suggestions?

I'm building a bench which will sit on laminated flooring. I don't want to scratch the floor nor do I want the bench to wander. Looking for simple rubber feet. On another small bench, I installed t-nuts on the end of the legs, screwed in 1/4-20 bolts with a jam nut spun on beforehand. Then I bought a set of those round (cup) feet meant for cylindrical legs; the bolt's hex head just sits inside the rubber cup feet. They work OK, but I think I'd like a larger 'foot' than a 1/4-20 hex head and I've only seen t-nuts up to 1/4-20. Thought about a larger lag screw, but over time, any adjustments necessary plus normal wear and tear would probably result in a wobbly foot.
    thanks!

JT
    Last edited by Hobiedog; 01-05-2008, 12:07 PM.
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I have used those rubber pads sold as anti-fatigue mats -- cut into appropriately sized squares. They are sold by Lowe's and others and usually are gray and come in packages of four. They are quite inexpensive and also work well as anti-fatigue mats.

Regards, SN

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Rockler, McMaster Carr, etc, sell floor levelers, in Metal and plastic. They come in various sizes and are used on commercial tables, and have a few different threads (I think 2 or 3 common sizes), that should fit in T nuts.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pecker
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003

I used hockey pucks and 1/2"-13tpi hardware to make heavy duty levellers.
        Drill the pucks to recess the carriage bolt heads, then the thru hole, then add a washer and nut.

The threaded connector was pounded into a slightly undersized hole on the bottom of the bench leg.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

And here I sit singing the I'm a dumb**s song. I have used hockey pucks for compressors, but never even considered that.

Too bad, we no longer have a hockey team, I could get some from the team dentist.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JR
            The Full Monte
            • Feb 2004
            • Eugene, OR
            • BT3000

Those hockey pucks are awesome!

In the event you don't have junior hockey in your neighborhood, there are also rubber feet available at HD. They're cup-shaped and come in several sizes. They can be glued to a threaded appliance foot. If the cup is too tall, just cut it with a box knife.

JR
            JR

Comment

• Duff
              Established Member
              • Apr 2007
              • San Antonio, TX
              • Enco 12" RT

made me check ebay for hockey puck lots...they're not too badly priced
              Enco 12" RT table saw(with router table currently added to right wing), Central Machinary 6" jointer, Delta 16" (17-900) drill press, Ridgid 14" bandsaw, Jet bench top Mortising machine, Porter Cable 6901 series routers (2) and a wide variety of Ryobi 18v tools.

Comment

• pecker
                Established Member
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Duff
                made me check ebay for hockey puck lots...they're not too badly priced
                The "Play It Again Sam" sporting goods store around here sells them for $1 each.

Comment

• Hobiedog
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2007

Thanks guys!

I think I'll try the 'coupling nuts' pounded into an undersize hole followed by a 3/8" bolt or so. Then I'll use some of those 'cup shaped' feet referred to below; they have quite a bit of rubber content and they grip very well. I used those feet on another smaller bench. I'd use the hockey pucks, but I think they're a little too hard for my floor. I just have a feeling that they would slide easier than the cup feet. However for my garage, that's a super idea and I'll try it there on an existing bench that's getting some water apsorption in the wooden legs through the concrete floor.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions!

JT
                  Last edited by Hobiedog; 01-07-2008, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...