• Show
Clear All
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Kerosene Heater

I'm going to be (finally) converting my 2 car garage into a shop (pics to follow) this winter. I've got the exterior done (siding/roofing), and now I'm moving inside to do the wiring, floor, walls, etc. It's still pretty drafty, and cold. I'm thinking of picking up a kerosene space heater as a temporary heating solution (I'm planning to put in a PTAC this summer). No real woodworking will be done until the inside build is done, and the equipment gets moved in.

Does anyone have any experience with these things? The last one I used was in Japan, 20+ years ago. Do they still stink pretty bad? More economical that propane (BBQ size tanks)?

Thanks in advance, and I hope to have some "before" shots next week.
    To do is to be.
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

They stink when first turned on and even worse when turned off. If you can start them outside and carefully move them in when they reach full temperature and then out again before turn off. Use care if you trip the tip sensor that's when they smell the worst. They dry out the air incredible. Use a humidifier and if you can put a pot of water on top of the heater to help control the humidity loss.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by jspelbring
      (I'm planning to put in a PTAC this summer). .
      If you dont have a local seller www.lodgemart.com has a great selection and very good prices. My Amana 18,000 BTU Heat Pump w/ A/C is scheduled for delivery tommorow. Too bad I don't have the ceiling and insulation compleat!

Comment

• jspelbring
        Established Member
        • Nov 2004
        • Belleville, IL, USA.
        • Craftsman 22114

Ceiling

Not to worry Jeff, you're ahead of me! This weekend I'm changing the rafter/truss configuration, so not only do I not have the insulation, I don't even have a ceiling! (nor do I have electric yet - just a really long extension cord).

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
        If you dont have a local seller www.lodgemart.com has a great selection and very good prices. My Amana 18,000 BTU Heat Pump w/ A/C is scheduled for delivery tommorow. Too bad I don't have the ceiling and insulation compleat!
        To do is to be.

Comment

• Iansaws
          Established Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Marietta, Ga
          • Ryobi BT3100

Me niether

Originally posted by jspelbring
          Not to worry Jeff, you're ahead of me! This weekend I'm changing the rafter/truss configuration, so not only do I not have the insulation, I don't even have a ceiling! (nor do I have electric yet - just a really long extension cord).
          Although I have my new shop wired inside and 100 amp service running from the breaker box in my house to the closest corner to my detached shop, I am still just using an extention cord. Can't wait to get the thing "hot-wired". I worry about what affect the use of an extension cord is having on my tools.

For a heater I have installed a 28000 BTU wall mounted (could be freestanding) propane heater. It hasn't got cold enough since I installed it to put it to the test, but it seems to work well. I am using 2 BBQ grill tanks with independent shut-offs so that when one "drys-up" I can switch to the second and and refill the first. I considered a propane heater instead. It would have been cheaper to buy and simplier to use and install, but I have had one before and the smell and dryness made it less attractive. Plus the propane heater takes up less space since it is wall mounted. You can see it in some of these pics:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=33851&page=2
          I feel more like I do today than I did yesterday...

Comment

Working...