X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salty
    • Feb 2006
    • Akron, Ohio

Using BT3 router setup and router table

Do any of you use the router setup on the BT3 for dado cuts?
    I was thinking of setting it up for those times when I need to dado a slot on a panel.
    My router table doesn't allow a lot of distance from the bit to the fence but a setup on the BT3 could go 2 foot or more. I have the accessory pack so I have all the parts needed. I just don't know if it would be worth the trouble.
    I also looked at using the aluminum plate from the kit in my homemade router table but it is a much different size than the cutout I already have and the plastic inserts only fit the accessory table on the saw. Got some nice knobs and hardware though that can be used for other jigs!
    Why doesn't the word 'planing' show up in my computer spell check?
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I'm now in favor of a jig with hand-held router for this kind of appliction. There are two things at issue: the distance from the edge and the width of the dado (needs to be matched to the thickness of material).

If you were building a tall cabinet, even the two feet available on the BT might be a challenge. A jig could be placed directly where you need it.

The dado width can be solved with a bit of the correct size, but that assumes you know exactly which thicknesses you will encounter.

Here is a jig I made for my current project. It allows for variable length on the dado. The real trick is that it allows for a variety of thicknesses. You just put a piece of the shelf material in between the two long pieces and adjust exactly against it. You use a top-bearing bita and the result is that the shelf fits the dado perfectly. This picture also shows stops on each end because that was required for the application.

JR
    JR

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

I have written previously about doing exactly that with my 21829. It works very nicely for doing deeper dados than I can with my "real" router table.

A nice, easy way to build a fence is to use the angle brackets that came with the router accessories. Unscrew them from the blocks of wood and attach them to any straight piece of plywood or mdf. Attach it to your rip fence and viola - Instant (sacrificial if need be) fence!

I also have a two-sided sawboard - one side for ripping sheetgoods with my circular saw and the other side for routing dados by hand with my 23/32" bit. I tend to use whichever seems handiest at the moment.

It is good to have options.
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Nice jig JR, solves one of my current problems nicely! Thanks.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

I did it before building my router table.
          John Hunter

Comment

Working...