• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Inside of shop

Here's a few pics of the inside of my shop. It's not as clean as Rod's, but I'm working on it. The partially-finished tool chest in the corner was built entirely from wood I salvaged from a "free" workbench LOML got from a co-worker. The top is from a computer table top I got for helping clean out a storage building. I need to build the second floor--that's where the scroll saw and lathe will eventually go.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Great looking so far. Those rafters really give it a wood shop feel, good for hangin' stuff too, like flourescent lights. If you keep it too clean it'll look like you don't do any ww'ing. We wouldn't want that would we?

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

Nice

cool! my place looks like yours. i cleaned up last week, but havent gone back in to finish off all the mess. looks like you have a lot of room. 2nd floor! lucky you.

looks like you have rail extension for your TS. did you put full lenght or half length on the TS? Also, does the top of your router table area flex because of the rails being out so far from the support?

thanks,

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
        cool! my place looks like yours. i cleaned up last week, but havent gone back in to finish off all the mess. looks like you have a lot of room. 2nd floor! lucky you.

looks like you have rail extension for your TS. did you put full lenght or half length on the TS? Also, does the top of your router table area flex because of the rails being out so far from the support?

thanks,
        Thanks to you and C/man for the compliments. The extensions are half length. You can't tell from the pics, but I rigged a support on each side of the router table from some aluminum angle, 1/4" all-thread, and mild steel. I'll post pics in the next few days if I remember.

g.
        Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Walls

LOOK at Idea shop #5 from wood magazine before you go any further! Cut 1X4 to 1X3 on 45 deg and then your cab and pegboord or whatever else you do and hang them rather than screw them to them to the wall!!!!!!!

I have moved mine alot since I first put them up, (not for the last few months) but was sure glad I used this system when I started my new shop!

I'll try to find the issue but in the meantime try woodmagazine.com and then "idea shop 5"
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• burrellski
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Saint Joseph, MO.

Shop looks great. I wish I had that much space. What are the dimensions of your shop?

Comment

• gsmittle
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
              • BT 3100

Originally posted by burrellski
              Shop looks great. I wish I had that much space. What are the dimensions of your shop?
              The shop is 18x24x15. It's a good thing I'm 5'9"--my 6'5" BIL nearly bangs his head on the rafters. It does make moving anything longer than 7' interesting--I have to stand stuff up between the rafters. I'm thinking of raising the rafters on the front end another 4' so I have a little more headroom there. The back half will stay the present height so I can have some upstairs room.

Cork, I'm planning to use French cleats when I get around to making some wall cabinets. Right now the only things screwed to the walls are the Triton wood rack (early Xmas gift from LOML), and the pegboard. Even the miter saw tables are on French cleats. I'm too lazy to be constantly unscrewing stuff to move it!

g.
              Last edited by gsmittle; 12-03-2007, 04:27 PM. Reason: forgot the ")."
              Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...