• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

T-8 Question

I put a bunch of T8 fixtures and bulbs in my shop. Last night it got really cold and when I went out there I noticed that most of the bulbs had "the wave" going on in them. I thought T8s were not supposed to do that? They did not hum.
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

Jeff,

We have several different flourescent lights in the house and in the garage. When the garage is cold, it usually takes a little time (up to about one minute) for them to reach full brightness.

We also have some of those "energy efficient" flourscent flood lights and they also take severa second to reach full brightness.

Regards, SN

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I thought I knew the answer to this, but decided I'd better take time to call our electrical consultant and confirm. He said what I had thought: you have to make sure the fixture's ballast is designed for cold-weather operation. Most of the old magnetic ballasts in T-12s were only good down to about 45deg. The electronic ballasts typically used in T-8 fixtures are probably more likely to be cold-weather capable, usually down to 0deg, but this is not automatic just because you buy a T-8. I remember seeing both ratings when I was shopping for my T-8s, and made sure I got the ones that said they're good down to zero.
      Larry

Comment

• steve-norrell
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • The Great Land - Alaska
        • BT3100-1

Raises an interesting question . . . .

As I understand it, the ballast in tube-type fixtures is in the fixture itself, unsually inside the metal housing. The screw-in "energy-efficient' gadgets have electronic ballasts built into the base of bulb.

Am I correct? And, if so, then one has to be alert (or should be) for the cold-weather designator on the bulb packaging.

Thanks for the information. Regards, Steve

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LarryG
          I thought I knew the answer to this, but decided I'd better take time to call our electrical consultant and confirm. He said what I had thought: you have to make sure the fixture's ballast is designed for cold-weather operation. Most of the old magnetic ballasts in T-12s were only good down to about 45deg. The electronic ballasts typically used in T-8 fixtures are probably more likely to be cold-weather capable, usually down to 0deg, but this is not automatic just because you buy a T-8. I remember seeing both ratings when I was shopping for my T-8s, and made sure I got the ones that said they're good down to zero.
          It is an electronic balast rated for down to 0 degrees. Now I am not sure how great the bulbs are that I have. Bought a case of them from Lowes. They are likely the problem. It will be interesting to see if they stop as they warm up.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

are they cheap fixtures? are they name brand bulbs?
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Here in Japan, I can tell a distinct difference in the start up of $8.00 bulbs versus $11/$12 bulbs. After a couple of minutes though, everything evens out fairly close. Only a critical eye can tell the difference after that.

If it is above around 70°, they start up and look the same.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by leehljp
                I can tell a distinct difference in the start up of $8.00 bulbs versus $11/$12 bulbs.
                So I assume I should be able to tell a difference between my $1 bulbs and good ones? LOL!

Tom, they are cheap fixtures and cheap bulbs.

It is not a big problem, I was just suprized to see it happen.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

This suggestion is not for the faint of heart. When it gets cold up here my garage/shop lights do the chasing/dim routine.

I keep a push-button propane torch on the shelf just for lighting up those chilly lamps (old ballasts - cheap lamps).

Just pass a low flame over the glass envelope of the lamp tubes and they light right up.. Something to do with warming the gases up so they can properly ionize.
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

a good replacement T-8 ballast costs $20-25 so when you buy a fixture for about that price you know the quality isn't that great but not really a big deal.
                    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Jeffrey, My bet is the bulbs. Some will pulse like that and some will not. What brand are they?

Comment

Working...