• Show
Clear All
  • CManinLa
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2007
    • Covington, La.
    • Craftsman 315.218290 (Portable)

Patio / Workshop Heater

I am looking at a patio heater that I could possibly use in my garage shop. Started looking at the end of last winter. Came across this tower heater from Outdoor Leisure. I noticed this summer that Lowe's had it & looks like they have recently reduced the price.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...102&lpage=none

I live in Louisiana, so I would not expect to use it all that much....but would come in handy for enjoying the patio or BBQs when it gets a little nippy.

Anyone has any experience or comments on this paricular unit? Any others I should consider.

Thanks,
    cm
    Last edited by CManinLa; 11-08-2007, 11:21 AM.
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

I don't have any experience with this unit but when we remodeled our shop / garage we worried about having an open flame with all the dust produced in a woodworking shop. We decided not to intall a wall-mounted gas heater. Instead we opted for a garage heater that uses the house's circulating hot water system.

If dust was an issued, I would look into alternate heat sources.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• rmcjh
      Forum Newbie
      • Oct 2003
      • Waxahachie, Texas, USA.

Patio / Workshop Heater

I agree tha having an open flame in the shop isn't a good idea. Considering that you also have high humidity and hot weather have you thought about a window heat pump? You would be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

You can make a frame to hold additional filters for the heatpump to keep the coils clean.

Roger
      roger

Comment

• rmcjh
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2003
        • Waxahachie, Texas, USA.

Patio / Workshop Heater

I agree that having an open flame in the shop isn't a good idea. Considering that you also have high humidity and hot weather have you thought about a window heat pump? You would be cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

You can make a frame to hold additional filters for the heatpump to keep the coils clean.
        roger

Comment

• Dale In Corona
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2005
          • Corona, CA, USA.

One of the things you are going to need to consider with the use of the patio heater (other than the open flame) is that many of them require an open air or well ventilated area for safe use. Most of them that I have seen are not rated for indoor use because of CO2 emissions. Something that you should definitely look out for when considering any product for use in an enclosed space, such as a garage.

Last winter the local BORG carried a heat fan. The model they stock is the Soleus Air Telescoping Reflective Heater With Remote & Oscillation, Model MS-10R. The big up side to this particular model is that in spite of its large size, it runs on 110, not 220. Thereby making a practical application for many home users. I do not recall the price but I see one listed on their web site HERE for $69.99/EA Each. The BORG has the item listed as Out of stock online and I am yet to see any in the California stores, however it is just now getting cold out here so I am sure they will show up sooner or later. Keep an eye out at your local stores, the thing puts out a TON of heat.

Here is a link to the manufacturers web site: (Look at the second item down)

http://www.soleusair.com/Consumer/reflective_heater.htm

Dale

Comment

Working...