X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

My general approach to making the most of space is to permanently position the most-used / largest tools (ie ones that are hard to move easily), and make everything else mobile and efficiently stowed.

For me, that means that my tablesaw, workbench, dust collector, drill press, bandsaw, mitersaw and jointer have fixed locations. (Confession: I have more space to work with).

I spent quite a bit of time trying different arrangements - including asking other people for ideas (using "paper dolls" in a scale drawing of the shop space and tools). I found that very helpful - and included people who never use a shop. My final arrangement required virtually no tweaking after I set it up like the drawing.

BTW: my "paper dolls" included "work space" extensions to indicate where I had to move in order to use the tool. Those work space areas could overlap, but couldn't be obstructed unless I was willing to move a tool.

I actually included three dimensions on my paper dolls so that I could take advantage of tool height to avoid obstructions. I noted the table or platform height so that I knew that a long board on that tool could overlap a nearby lower tool. In two dimensions, it looks like an obstruction - with the height added, you can be more creative.

I didn't use my computer for this task- I wanted to be able to hand the arrangement to various people at their convenience and let them solve my puzzle. (It was fun to watch that process).

My belt sander, scroll saw, grinder and thickness planer are all on tool stands that I bought from Sears. I added wheels to them, Ryobi BT3000-style (tip and roll). They are packed into tight areas and pulled out when needed. (Although I have the grinder, belt sander and scroll saw arranged so that in limited circumstances I can use them without moving). I played with those configurations for quite awhile to get maximum packing density but still allow immediate use at times.

My cut-off storage bin and shop vac (of course) are on wheels as well. My auxilliary router table is stashed somewhere - I bring it out when needed and clamp it to my workbench.

The thickness planer - which needs so much infeed and outfeed space; and since it is used for limited periods, is actually stored outside my main shop area. (Ran out of space). It is a bit of a pain to "tip and roll", but it works. When I put it in place, it is in the way of shop flow, but that is the only aisle in the shop, and it affords a place for running long boards through.

One final thing that helps - every available wall space, and some overhead space is used for hanging various tools. My drill bits are mounted to the wall on a pegboard shelf next to the drill press. Blades, blade tools, push sticks and jigs hang next to the table saw.

Comment

• lrogers
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Mobile, AL. USA.
      • BT3000

In the old shop, 12x15, I prcaticed a lot of the things all ready mentioned. I also put up "garage board" (prepainted peg board) on all the walls from about the 3 foot level to the ceiling. I hung EVERYTING that would fit. That really helped a lot. One of the nice things about a small shop is that you are forced to be organized and tidy, whether you want to be or not!
      Larry R. Rogers
      The Samurai Wood Butcher
      http://splash54.multiply.com
      http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Greg.B
        You guys don't know small....lol...I have at max 10 x 6. In that area is a bandsaw, table saw, router table, workbench, belt sander. The trick to it all is good positioning and planning of where things should be. Mobile is key as well. I make sure that I have storage for all items under the work bench. Under it I keep other power tools, compressor, dovetail jigs, other jigs, etc. You would be suprised at how much you can fit in a small space.
        I believe I edge you out at 9 x 6, with two doors (arctic porch).

My current project is adapting an old plan for a three-piece nested mobile desk thingy--computer desk, printer stand, file cart--to a nested set of shop stuff: assembly table/clamp stand/outfeed wings; router table; and step stool.

Comment

Working...