• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Workbench on casters?

I'm about to build a workbench with a lotta drawers for tool storage, with a gap between table top and cabinet below to allow for vises and temporarily stashing tools while working. It would work best in my limited space if I could move it when necessary, so I'm thinking of putting it on double-locking (swivel + rotate) casters. Anyone already done this sort of thing? Any suggestions about stability, caster sizes and brands, etc.?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • stormdog74
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

I made one a few years ago from plans in Family Handyman and it has worked out fine. It is very simple though, so probably not what you are looking for. The one bit of advice I have is to get very strong casters - I used the ones in the plans and while they look good and strong, they are not good enough. I don't know what to recommend though - I am looking for what others have to say about this myself.

I came across this plan - don't know if it is what you are considering:

http://www.bobsplans.com/FreePlans/DNLD/Workbench.pdf

Comment

• jemmy
      Forum Newbie
      • Sep 2007
      • IRELAND
      • Hitachi C10RA

Originally posted by dlminehart
      I'm about to build a workbench with a lotta drawers for tool storage, with a gap between table top and cabinet below to allow for vises and temporarily stashing tools while working. It would work best in my limited space if I could move it when necessary, so I'm thinking of putting it on double-locking (swivel + rotate) casters. Anyone already done this sort of thing? Any suggestions about stability, caster sizes and brands, etc.?
      hi there, i build one i used scaffolding planke 5 of them used one`s 4 legs and strainer`s and swivel locking casters. could`nt do with out it. Jemmy.
      Last edited by jemmy; 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• eweu
        Forum Newbie
        • Aug 2006
        • Silicon Valley, CA

Originally posted by dlminehart
        It would work best in my limited space if I could move it when necessary, so I'm thinking of putting it on double-locking (swivel + rotate) casters.
        How often do you think you'll need to move it? Those "furniture mover" pads work really well for that. You can lift up a side or a corner to slip them under the legs, move the bench, then remove the sliders when you're done.

I've also seen wheels that lift up and disengage when not in use, like those on the Adjust-A-Bench. You might be able to find a source for those type of wheels.

Comment

• messmaker
          Veteran Member
          • May 2004
          • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
          • Ridgid 2424

I remember a post where 3 rolling trailer jacks were used. It allowed you to lift and move your bench but set it down on it's legs when you got where you were going. It was not beautiful but looked like a smart practical solution.
          spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• ssmith1627
            • Dec 2005
            • Corryton, TN, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

I built that same workbench from Family Handyman. Fully loaded I think the thing is 600 lbs. It sits on 6 casters but it never budged on me. They weren't even locking casters -- the weight simply held everything in place. There's only a 1/2" clearance at the bottom so no way to manipulate locking casters.

What I ended up doing was putting shims under the corners to bring it level. Between my craftsmanship (or lack thereof) and my shop floor, things weren't perfectly level before. So that's a good compromise. The shims can be removed if I do want to move it around but they keep it very steady the rest of the time. I have no issues with it shifting around.

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...d=152_5209_IMG

Steve

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Within the last two months, Wood magazine had an article about a table saw outfeed table, that had a wonderfull caster design. I think it was September's issue, but you pull a lever out and down to drop the wheels, and out and up to raise them. With something like that design, you should be able to get heavy duty casters a little cheaper, due to not having to get dual locking.

Edit, went to Wood's site (I don't have flash), I remember seeing it displayed on their mini video section that requires flash, and I checked, it is Sept. and was called Space-Saving Double-Duty Tablesaw Workbench.
              Last edited by LinuxRandal; 10-31-2007, 10:03 AM. Reason: added where found
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• DonHo
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                • Craftsman 21829

My shop is so small I needed my bench on casters too and I also made it the same hight as my saw so I can use it as an outfeed table. I used 4" locking swivel casters. I don't actually move the bench much (not much room to move it to) but it's really helpful to be able to move it to clean or if I want a different configuration. Sorry these pics don't show a lot but my shop is so small I can't get far enough away to get the whole bench in the picture

DonHo
                Don

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

i had exactly the same issue when wanted to make my work bench as well. click here to my post. i ended up putting it on (4) casters. i bought them from woodcraft. here is the link to them: click here. i used the 4" size. i would strongly suggest you use the 5" caster. make sure you use all four as double locking caster. this way you can pull you bench out of any position because all four wheels will swivel. i drew up some plans for my table if you are interested.

happy building! remember: keep us posted with pictures.

regards,

Comment

• ragswl4
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Winchester, Ca
                    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by DonHo
                    My shop is so small I needed my bench on casters too and I also made it the same hight as my saw so I can use it as an outfeed table. I used 4" locking swivel casters. I don't actually move the bench much (not much room to move it to) but it's really helpful to be able to move it to clean or if I want a different configuration. Sorry these pics don't show a lot but my shop is so small I can't get far enough away to get the whole bench in the picture

DonHo

Nice work bench. What did you use to finish the table top? What is the size of the top? I think I would prefer to have two that size, mobile so you could push them together to make one big one when needed. Did you design it yourself or make it from a plan? Lastly, quit cleaning your shop, it's making me feel bad (LOL).
                    RAGS
                    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                    sigpic

Comment

• DonHo
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by ragswl4
                      Nice work bench. What did you use to finish the table top? What is the size of the top? I think I would prefer to have two that size, mobile so you could push them together to make one big one when needed. Did you design it yourself or make it from a plan? Lastly, quit cleaning your shop, it's making me feel bad (LOL).
                      The top is finished with 4 coats of polly and I keep it topped off with Johnson's paste wax. The bench is 5' long and 2' wide. I did design it myself to fit the room I had, it's nothing fancy. The case is made from the $25 Borg 3/4" birch ply joined with glue and pocket screws. The top is 2 ply's of 3/4" MDF glued together and edged with 1 X 2s. I used 3 2X6s between the top of the case and the bench top. That allowed me to rip the 2X6s to the exact width I needed to make the top the same hight as my saw so I could use it as an out feed table and leave space to store some clamps and tools.
                      As for cleaning my shop, those pictures were made about 1 1/2 years ago right after my shop building was complete and I had just moved the tools in. Believe me you wouldn't mistake my shop for Rod's today

DonHo
                      Don

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

My workbench is built on a 2x4 base that is enclosed with oak trim. Hidden
                        underneath are 6 heavy duty casters. The bench has a 1/4" clearance from
                        the floor and the casters roll smoothly. To "lock" my bench in place, I have
                        a flat gorilla bar that I slip under the base, elevate the bench another 1/4"
                        off the floor then I slip a 1/2" shim under the left and right front of the bench.
                        The bench is rock solid at this point which is important since I use it to hand
                        plane stock sometimes. I don't notice the 1/4" elevation at the front of the
                        bench and I know the top is still flat (not level) since it's a torsion box.

Paul

Comment

• gary
                          • May 2004
                          • Versailles, KY, USA.

Yes, I've made one - see here for details http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=30759

Gary

Comment

• DonHo
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2004
                            • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                            • Craftsman 21829

Wow Gary, that's one nice workbench. The rest of your shop may not quite be up to "Rod" standards but that bench sure is. BTW the rest of your shop is cleaner than mine, it's just being "Rod" clean is pretty special

DonHo
                            Don

Comment

• gary
                              • May 2004
                              • Versailles, KY, USA.

“Never try to teach a pig to sing – it wastes your time and annoys the pig.”
                              Gary

Comment

Working...