• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

@#$@ Mosquitoes in the workshop!

The garage is not air-conditioned, so there's always been lots a bugs there without bothering me much.

But this time of the year I am deluged by mosquitoes - and am unable to stop them. Is there any way I could zap mosquitoes? I checked HD - they only have sprays for bugs / roaches / ants etc. Why not for mosquitoes? What do y'all do for this particular pest?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

There has to be some consequence for living in the Sunshine State. You'll just have to move up here, we freeze them to death!

In all seriousness, have you tried one of the propane based systems? Some folks state that their hocus-pocus, while others have declared them a resounding success. You may want to speak with some folks who owned the system.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Miramar... closer to the swamp than me. First check to see if you are breeding them in your area. Do you have standing water in anything, like trash can lids, bucket tops, or anything outdoors where the little terrors live and breed.

My wife bought me this. I've only used it once, and it seemed to work OK. But maybe the infestation was light at the time.

What I do use all the time is a clip on repeller that works pretty good. Takes a single "AA" battery and emits a sound that repels mosquitos, but maybe not the deaf ones.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

The school's still out on traps, as most employ an attractant, which can bring mosquitoes from neighboring property, thus negating the benefit. I keep my shop closed up, especially at night when the little buggers are most active. I'll cool with a fan instead of opening up, and use a repellent with DEET if all else fails.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I hose myself down with Cutter's. I don't much care for the smell, but the bugs do not bite.
          Larry

Comment

• rja
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • New Kensington, Pennsylvania, USA.
            • BT3100-1

I went on a canoe trip to Canada Years ago. The mosquitoes were everywhere and aggressive. Kids who had the regular types of bug repellents were always slapping at mosquitoes. I fortunately had the foresight to bring along some cheap cigars. The bugs never bothered me. Remember, these were Canadian mosquitoes. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

Mosquitoes love the taste of my blood. I must be their number one target. A good mosquitoe repellant works for me. If you can have a fan blowing on you, it should help a lot. They aren't very active in windy conditions.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Warren
                Established Member
                • Jan 2003
                • Anchorage, Ak
                • BT3000

Skeeters do not travel far from where they originated. Do check the areas around your house for breeding areas such as ornamental ponds which should be treated. I suspect they are popular in you part of the country. Any overgrown area which is continually damp is also a breeding area.

Here in Alaska the "Mosquito Magnet" is very popular. The larger unit will handle an acre, I believe. It takes a week or so for the machine to get ahead of the curve (killing more than are breeding). One person told me that he just empties the nets and its like carrying a small bag of sand. They are a expensive though.
                A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• DJehlik
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Walnut Creek, CA
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

I read in a list of household hints that if you place a clothes dryer sheet in your pocket, the mosquitos will leave you alone.

Comment

• docrowan
                    • Mar 2007
                    • New Albany, MS
                    • BT3100

DEET seems to close my pores. Anytime I spray on some Off, I sweat like a waterfall and I feel like my body temp goes up 10 degrees. It keeps the mosquitos off, but I'm pretty miserable while I have it on. Don't try to use Off or other products with DEET as an area spray, either. I tried it once and it didn't work, plus it killed all the leaves and grass it touched.

I generally try to keep my shop closed at night. I have screens on my windows so I can keep the fans running and not draw in mosquitos or other wildlife.

I haven't used the mosquito killers with the attractants, but one thing I read is that you put them well away from where you expect to be working or lounging. It makes sense - you don't want the trap to draw them towards you where you can be an alternate target.
                    - Chris.

Comment

• charliex
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                      • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I had this problem when I lived in Hopkins. They would even drive me out of the garage / shop in the middle of the day. I tried a sketo magnet but that didn't help. I fixed them with a full screen (2 stall) that attaches to the door frame with velcro and rolls up to let the cars in. Think I got it from Menards cost was about $100.00 but it was well worth it. Here in Spring Valley MN I see as many skeeters in a year as I did per day in Hopkins. Although for a week or so the flies had me thinking about putting it up. Good luck.
                      Chas

Comment

• gerti
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2003
                        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Here in Minnetonka (just around the corner from Hopkins where Chas used to live, hi!) we have ponds and swamps everywhere. Used to be that I could not go mow the lawn after 5 pm.

Now (including ours) we have 3 or so mosquito magnets on the block. They have drastically reduced the number of mosquitos. I don't know why they work for some areas and not others, maybe it is the species of mosquito. Anyhow though expensive I gladly pay to keep it running during the season, as those bites do a real number on me.

Comment

• Red88chevy
                          Established Member
                          • Sep 2004
                          • Midland, Texas.

Do they not make the electric bug zappers anymore? I remember they had several at church camp and they were busy all night frying bugs!

Comment

• tkarlmann
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
                            • BT3100

I have 'em in Chicago, too!

Well, ok they slow down as the weather gets cold (heh, heh), but I have lived here for 25 years -- this is the first year I have had them in my garage-shop! They seem to lie in wait for me, as I seem to rouse them when I go in the shop.

What are they finding to eat there? Darn nuisance.

I find that, as in any area outside, a breeze will tone down their flights. I use a household fan to cool me off a bit, and that seems to help. When I shut the door I have tried flying insect killer, but I think they hide from it.

Abject Horror: are we seeing an evolutionary step in mosquitoes? They have adapted to live in garages now? Sheesh!

Thom
                            Thom

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Russell, NY, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Bugs in the Shop

Know what ya mean!. We have been having a bout of nearly summer time temps lately up here in the north country. Usually around here this time of year the temps are in the middle 40's with a touch of frost at night. Yesterday the temp was up to 80 and just as nice today. Only problem is with that kind of weather I have a uncontrollable urge to keep the big overhead door open!. Well the flys, lady bugs and mosquitos just want to find a place to hide out; so far this week I've gone thru a couple of cans of insect spray. Oh well, this can't last, soon it will be normal--cold!
                              RuffSawn
                              Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

Working...