• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Workshop Compromise

My wife and I have three dogs, 2 big and 1 medium. When it's cold out or if we just want to work in the back yard, we have to have a place to put the dogs. Before I only had room for 2 kennels and to have more workspace, I had an old door sitting on two saw horses.

Finally took a little time and built this. 4' x 7' work / assembly table. Nice way to help me keep my workbench and saw clear. And should be a nice place to try to put this dresser together that I'm working on now.

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/v...bum01&id=030_G

Certainly not pretty but functional, an easily replaceable top and it's flat to within a 16th of an inch. Gives me room for all three kennels and has enough overhang that my feet aren't up against the kennels when working. Plywood back makes the whole thing ridgid and it's a lot more solid than it looks in that picture. I might try to do some shelving above now, along the lines of Norm's workshop hutch.

Steve
    Last edited by ssmith1627; 10-18-2007, 10:09 AM.
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

It looks pretty good to me. Being kind of short (5'7") I would worry about having enough reach to get to the other side of the door, but it may just look wide. What are the dims? 2'-8", 2'- 6"? Still, a nice application for your needs. Now, get out there and make some sawdust!
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm 6'. Yeah, reaching to the back won't be that easy but it will allow me to work on one end of the dresser with the other end up against that wall -- that sort of thing.

It's rather tall -- it matches the height of the tables on my planer. The surface of the top is 35" from the floor. When needed, this can act as infeed support for the planer. Probably a little high but will give me "shelves" above the kennels as well. I can use all the storage I can get.

Steve

Comment

• kirkroy
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Brunswick, MD

That's a great idea!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Being a woodworker, a former dog owner, and a current dog sitter, I am going to state the obvious.

Do NOT use a pneumatic nailer, on this bench ESPECIALLY when the dogs are underneath.

That would be my only concern with that setup.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ssmith1627
            • Dec 2005
            • Corryton, TN, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Oh man. No way. I won't even be working in the shop with the dogs in there. This is only for cold weather where we bring them in at night, that sort of thing. We actually like 2 out of the 3 of them (haha) so we certainly wouldn't torture them. I won't subject them to the noise and dust of woodworking.

Steve

Comment

Working...