X-10 On DC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ExYankee
    Established Member
    • Mar 2005
    • 126
    • Pleasant View, Tn.
    • BT3100-frankensaw

    #1

    X-10 On DC

    I have my HF 2HP DC and a few fans and a filter on a x-10 (actually the Radio Shack equivalent) system and a few controllers here and there around the shop, so I can switch it on, make a cut with my MS and switch it off. The plug in outlet is a 20 amp one. Well I came to the shop yesterday to find my DC going. I then figured it must of somehow triggered on after a momentary power outage we had the evening before. I went and felt the motor and it was just slightly warm, so that made me feel good, but it must have been a million to one electrofluke to get the controller to switch on (the other plugs were not affected).

    I guess it might seem prudent to throw the breaker when I leave just in case.
    John Dyer
    ExYankee Workshop...

    I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • 1559
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

    #2
    Originally posted by ExYankee
    I have my HF 2HP DC and a few fans and a filter on a x-10 (actually the Radio Shack equivalent) system and a few controllers here and there around the shop, so I can switch it on, make a cut with my MS and switch it off. The plug in outlet is a 20 amp one. Well I came to the shop yesterday to find my DC going. I then figured it must of somehow triggered on after a momentary power outage we had the evening before. I went and felt the motor and it was just slightly warm, so that made me feel good, but it must have been a million to one electrofluke to get the controller to switch on (the other plugs were not affected).

    I guess it might seem prudent to throw the breaker when I leave just in case.
    What kind of an X-10 module do you have on the DC and other tools. All the ones I have are pretty low amperage unit. It would be fantastic if I could use the X-10 for the shop. I got a butt ton of module and remotes. Don't ask why, its a very long story.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

    Comment

    • John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • 2034
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

      #3
      Originally posted by ExYankee
      Well I came to the shop yesterday to find my DC going. I then figured it must of somehow triggered on after a momentary power outage we had the evening before. I went and felt the motor and it was just slightly warm, so that made me feel good, but it must have been a million to one electrofluke to get the controller to switch on (the other plugs were not affected).

      I guess it might seem prudent to throw the breaker when I leave just in case.
      I have had the same experience twice with no power failures, and at first I thought I had somehow forgot to turn the DC off, then the other day I was in the shop and it started up all by itself! The problem seems to be in the Woodcraft Remote start system! I now turn the power switch on the remote unit off when I leave the shop. When I am at Woodcrafters next I will ask them about sending the unit in for repairs.
      John Hunter

      Comment

      • Tequila
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2004
        • 684
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

        #4
        I've run into 2 problems with the X10 systems in the past:
        1) If there's someone else in the neighborhood set to the same house and channel setting, their remote can trigger your system. I ran into that one at my first apartment.
        2) Some other RF equipment can trigger the system. I had a wireless playstation controller, and whenever it was in use, the light on the X10 system would flicker.
        -Joe

        Comment

        • maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • 1421
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

          #5
          Originally posted by Tequila
          I've run into 2 problems with the X10 systems in the past:
          1) If there's someone else in the neighborhood set to the same house and channel setting, their remote can trigger your system. I ran into that one at my first apartment.
          2) Some other RF equipment can trigger the system. I had a wireless playstation controller, and whenever it was in use, the light on the X10 system would flicker.
          I've been using X10 to control my DC, an exaporative cooler, a boom box and half the florescent lights in my shop. My control module is a standard plug in type w/ antenna and it controls the radio. Both the DC and the cooler are on wall socket type modules that replace the standard socket and have 1 plug switched by remote and the other always on. The florescent lights are controlled by a universal module that requires wiring into the electrical system.
          I don't know if it is the fact that I'm not using the accessory type plug in modules and instead using wired in modules. The only problem I've had is when I started to set up modules in my house and forgot to use a different house code.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

          Comment

          • ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • 1559
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

            #6
            Is anyone using this module from X-10 for controlling shop tools? Is so, how well does it work?

            http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_sr227.htm
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

            Comment

            • ExYankee
              Established Member
              • Mar 2005
              • 126
              • Pleasant View, Tn.
              • BT3100-frankensaw

              #7
              If I get to my shop in the next day or two I will get the p/n off the module.
              John Dyer
              ExYankee Workshop...

              I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

              Comment

              • maxparot
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • 1421
                • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

                #8
                Originally posted by ragswl4
                Is anyone using this module from X-10 for controlling shop tools? Is so, how well does it work?

                http://www.x10.com/automation/x10_sr227.htm
                Yep, those are the ones I'm using for my DC and Evap cooler. They have performed flawlessly for me. I had them installed on dedicated lines for 8kbtu window A/C a few years back. I didn't have any problems with that install either.
                Last edited by maxparot; 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM.
                Opinions are like gas;
                I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

                Comment

                • ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 1559
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

                  #9
                  Originally posted by maxparot
                  Yep, those are the ones I'm using for my DC and Evap cooler. They have performed flawlessly for me. I had them installed on dedicated lines for 8kbtu window A/C a few years back. I didn't have any problems with that install either.
                  Thanks. I am going to get two, one for the DC and one for the RAS. It will be a lot safer being able to turn the RAS on/off by mouting a remote near the handle that pulls the blade forward. Will save me a lot of steps using the DC as well.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • John Hunter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • 2034
                    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                    • BT3000 & BT3100

                    #10
                    Originally posted by ragswl4
                    Thanks. I am going to get two, one for the DC and one for the RAS. It will be a lot safer being able to turn the RAS on/off by mouting a remote near the handle that pulls the blade forward. Will save me a lot of steps using the DC as well.
                    I would be afraid to have one on any saw. Not something you want to start on its own by accident.
                    John Hunter

                    Comment

                    • ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 1559
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

                      #11
                      Originally posted by John Hunter
                      I would be afraid to have one on any saw. Not something you want to start on its own by accident.

                      Actually I just want to be able to turn the RAS OFF remotely, then unplug it. Right now I either have to let go of the wood or let go of the saw to turn it off and it's a little unsafe IMO. At least it feels awkward. That said I will certainly consider your thought before I do it. Perhaps there is a better way. May relocating the switch where I can easily reach it with the left hand. Thanks.
                      RAGS
                      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      Working...