X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Martin_S
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Shop-Vac as DC in small shop

I have searched through the posts here about using a Shop Vac for my dust collection needs. I'm probably not out in the shop more than 3-4 hours a week. Does anyway use their Shop-Vac as part of DC system with ducts, etc. or do you just hook it up to the machine that you are using? Since I share 1/2 of my garage with a car, all of my equipment is on mobile bases.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Martin
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

I had mine hooked up with a small 2 1/2" duct, blast gates etc before I got the regular D/C. Worked well for a long long time. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I made up a vac-collection "network" using the 2-1/2" hose from Rockler. I've employed three Wye's, one Tee, four blast gates, and some odds and ends. It works very well for my needs.

I get so little shop time that I didn't want to spend all that much switching hoses from one machine to the next. You wouldn't think it would take that much time, but it takes much longer than switching two blast gates, and my collection hose is always out of the way.

One think I learned, though, is not to use the clear hose. When you accidentally close all the blast gates, the hose "slinkies" and causes quite a commotion. Instead I use the rigid black stuff.

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

I just hook mine up tool to tool, no ducts. I prefer to call the shop vac a chip collector rather then a duct collector. I look forward to the day when I can replace it.

It's better then nothing, at least for keeping things a little cleaner. I'm not sure it does much for the fine dust that is bad for your health though.
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

In my previous shop, I couldn't run 4" pipe or hose to all points, so on one side of the main room I put in a shop-vac-powered 2" system for the miter saw, mortising machine, handheld power tools, and general shop clean-up. It worked very well, especially for the handheld power tools. As John says a system like this will help you keep a cleaner shop, but it's really not going to do much toward protecting your respiratory system.

A shop vac is also a good match for a BT3x00 (if that's what you happen to have) since a standard hose will plug directly into the saw's dust port.

I think most shop vacs would be hard pressed to keep up with the heavy output of large chips from a jointer or planer, though.
          Larry

Comment

• Dale In Corona
            Forum Newbie
            • Jan 2005
            • Corona, CA, USA.

I found that my shop vac as dust collector experience was much the same as what Henry has reported.

I found that with the fine dust created when cutting MDF, my shop vac filters were forever clogging, quickly reducing the effective power of the vac.

So in short, it sorta kinda works, but it was not ideal for me.

Sears used to sell (I have one) a 2" dust collection kit that included several lengths of clear 2" plastic tubing, some blast gates, mounting brackets, etc. All sized to hook right up to a shop vac. I don't know if they still sell it but if so, and your serious about plumbing your shop for a Shop vac style DC system, you might look into that.

Dale

Comment

• Martin_S
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006

Something like this that Shop Vac sells?

http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393

Comment

• kmk
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • .Portland, Oregon
                • BT3100-1

I've 6.5 HP (peak) shop vac and found not effective. Looking forward to replace it with a "DC".

I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Is anyone using Festool DCs? (they are very compact and very expensive). I wonder whether they are as effective as regular DCs? I don't like look of regular DCs.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by kmk
                  Is anyone using Festool DCs? (they are very compact and very expensive). I wonder whether they are as effective as regular DCs? I don't like look of regular DCs.
                  Festool "DC's" are really shop vacs. They are high static, low volume. Real DC's are lower-static, high volume.

The problem I've seen many people run into by using a shop vac as a DC is that they allow the filters to plug. In a way, the high-priced Festool/Fein units solve this, because they preach the use of a bag. The bag keeps the filters clean. So you never suffer reduced suction.

But you don't have to spend several hundred $$$ on a Festool/Fein in order to use bags. My Ridgid can use bags, Shop-Vac brand can, too. In fact, I use Shop-Vac brand bags in my Ridgid because they're cheaper than the Ridgid brand.

So my filter (a HEPA filter) never clogs. And arguably, the stuff my vac system catches probably stays contained better than any true DC because of my HEPA filter (keeps stuff down to .3 micron).

I agree that you need high volume to catch the fines, and that isn't the strong suit of shop vacs. But if you read the BP site, you need real, real high volume. More than even a 2HP dust collector is going to provide except under perfect circumbstances (no network, clean bags, etc.).

I'm often left wondering whether I'd be better off with a good air cleaner and to just continue using my shop vac setup.

BTW, my table saw (Ryobi BT3K), router table, jointer/planer (Inca), and bandsaw (also Inca) all have small dust ports. I'm probably better off w/ a Shop Vac on everything but the table saw.

Comment

• BrianStark
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2007
                    • San Diego, CA
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I use my shop vac. Two of them actually. My workshop is my garage (when the cars are out of it). My larger shop vac is connected to the exhause port on the back of the bt3100, and the smaller shop vac is connected as needed to the other tools with smaller dust collecting ports.

Brian

Comment

• RodKirby
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I have 2 Shopvacs - one stays attached to the TS, the other follows me around - BS, DP, Router tables. Had this setup for years.

I need to clean them out about every 3 months - but my Shed is not "high-production"
                      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• JoeyGee
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I recently started using the filter bags which has made a HUGE difference. The filter doesn't get clogged like it used to. I will also be making a chip separator on a 5 gallon bucket. I'm copying the larger Shop Notes style. I could use the pre-made tops, but I'm cheap, and making it won't take long.
                        Joe

Comment

• softop41
                          Established Member
                          • Jul 2004
                          • Plainfield, IL, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

Martin,
                          I have used a ShopVac as a DC as well. In my previous shop I had the whole shop piped with 2" PVC, gate valves and a 5 gallon seperator. It works good for collecting chips, the kind of stuff you have to sweep up, but isn't enough air flow for getting much of the fine dust. Shop vacs have great suction but not much air flow. Suction gets the chips but the dust needs a large airflow. Don't get me wrong, it works way better than nothing and if that is what you have room or budget for, go for it. Use as little of the black corrogated flex hose as you can as it further reduces airflow on long runs.
                          HTH,
                          Jerry
                          Jerry
                          Making High Quality Sawdust in Northeast Plainfield

Comment

• DaveStL
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2006
                            • St Louis, MO, USA.
                            • Jet 10: Xacta RT

W/ the BT, a 10-gal contractor Shop Vac w/ bags and Gore filter did reasonably well. It even pulled chips out of the jointer (but filled up fast). It didn't get the fines.

A lot depends on the tool design. The dust collection on the BT3K is incredibly good compared to a normal cabinet saw (normal meaning no blade shroud). W/ the Jet JTAS, the Shop Vac doesn't have a chance. Likewise w/ sanding. So I'm biting the bullet.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • The Great Land - Alaska
                              • BT3100-1

I am using a 20 gallon ShopVac with 2 1/2 in. duct work to the tools with blast gates to direct the flow from the tool currently in use. I strongly recommend using "dry wall" rated bags in the vacs and those 5 gal. vortex chip collectors somewhere in the line.

Good luck. Steve

Comment

Working...