• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

Best place to hang ambient air cleaner?

I initially was thinking in the center of the shop over the table saw but this article says it should be close to the wall. I have one of the triangular deltas from lowes.

http://www.woodworking.com/ww101dust.cfm

All tips are welcome.
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

I have heard arguements for both positions. I will complicate things . . . I have heard another proposition that it should be placed over the area generating the most dust ie you have a dedicated sanding area with a drum sander, etc.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I've always felt that attention should be paid to the direction that the exhaust fan on the air filter will be pointed. I have mine placed so that the fan will direct a current of air that will swirl from the air filter towards the tools. This way, the dust will be directed away from me and towards the air filter. If you place the air filter directly over the tools, there's a chance you could end up in a cloud of dust much like Pigpen, Charlie Brown's buddy.

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by sweensdv
        I've always felt that attention should be paid to the direction that the exhaust fan on the air filter will be pointed. I have mine placed so that the fan will direct a current of air that will swirl from the air filter towards the tools. This way, the dust will be directed away from me and towards the air filter. If you place the air filter directly over the tools, there's a chance you could end up in a cloud of dust much like Pigpen, Charlie Brown's buddy.
        I have mine setup exactl opposite of this. I figure you want the dust from the tools to be "drawn into" the cleaner not blown away from it. I have mine near the wall (in the middle of the longest wall) with the exhaust fan blowing away from the tools. This gives a circular flow around the shop that forces the dust to be "moved" toward the intake of the cleaner.

Todd

Comment

• sweensdv
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • WI
          • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by hermit
          I have mine setup exactl opposite of this. I figure you want the dust from the tools to be "drawn into" the cleaner not blown away from it. I have mine near the wall (in the middle of the longest wall) with the exhaust fan blowing away from the tools. This gives a circular flow around the shop that forces the dust to be "moved" toward the intake of the cleaner.

Todd
          Actually, that's exactly the same way I have mine setup. Your explanation was just easier to understand than mine was.

Comment

• Tom Clark
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2007
            • Deming, NM
            • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Nothing wrong with on the floor

Long before there were purchased air cleaners you had to build your own. Mine is nearly 20 years old. Before the filter I would be working in a cloud of dust from sanding and routing. Once the filter was made it was easy to watch the air being sucked into the filter - and the air you breathed was no longer in a fog. Mine was built to work as an extension to my workbench. The 1/4 hp motor drives the fan squirrel almost silently. One of the best shop items ever built. I added three drawers above the filter to make the box more useful.
            Attached Files

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by sweensdv
              Actually, that's exactly the same way I have mine setup. Your explanation was just easier to understand than mine was.
              Guess what? Now that I re-read it, I can see that. Sorry, I was picturing the opposite. Hopefully he got the idea anyway!

Todd

Comment

Working...