X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dadshideout
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2007

workshop insulation

I'm planning to add some of the white "styrofoam" ridgid insulation to my walls. It seems the easiest way would be to glue it up. will construction adhesive work or will it melt the foam?
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I've not tried construction adhesive on rigid foam insulation, but if you'll forgive me for answering a question you didn't ask ... you cannot leave rigid foam insulation exposed, if that was your plan. It is EXTREMELY flammable, and the building codes require it to be covered.
    Larry

Comment

• reddog552
      Established Member
      • Dec 2006
      • Belleville Il.
      • Bt3000

Insulation

No advice here,BUT a good story, A frend of mine built a 100x60 steel pole barn.R-max inside, a groundhog got traped inside.We opened the door one day R-Max pices everywhere,the hog went the whole way around tearing up the insulation 2'to3' up the wall what a mess. My frend retaliated chain saw in hand he hunted the hog down.The result wasnt pretty.
      The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• jking
        • May 2003
        • Des Moines, IA.
        • BT3100

If you're insulating a basement (cmu or concrete), put furring strips on the walls - probably 24" centers. Cut the insulation to be a snug fit & you don't need anything to worry about glue. When it gets covered with drywall it can't go anywhere.

Comment

• ExYankee
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pleasant View, Tn.
          • BT3100-frankensaw

I was going to do rigid foam and the fire safety issue and the fact I HAD to sheetrock over it made me look at spray on foam. It was expensive $1800 for my 16x24 walls and roof and a small 4x12 bumpout. But I went out to the shop yesterday, now bear in mind its been mid and high 90s here for two weeks and the inside temperture with no AC was 80.2° And it also cools down to 72° with just an hour of two of AC. The foam also made it real air tight so the cooling /heating stays in.

Otherwise I would just have to write off the shop in extreme weather or pay giant heat/cooling bills.
          John Dyer
          ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

Working...