• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssmith1627
    • Dec 2005
    • Corryton, TN, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop Notes Saw Cabinet

Anyone tried to build this from ShopNotes ?

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/089/...aw-workcenter/

Looks pretty interesting but I was thinking of simply building part of it. My idea was to leave the saw on its stand and build the router table cabinet at the end and the outfeed table and cabinet back behind.

Obviously have to plan around that motor hanging out the back and allow for it to raise up for when the saw blade is tilted.

Steve
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've built the base cabinet portion. I've been waiting to have some extra $$ for the higher grade laminate that I want to use, so I haven't done the top and the router piece of it. Also, I may upgrade my Craftsman contractor saw to the same type unit of another brand...

So far I think it's a good design. I had to modify it slightly because my rails are 52" Powermatic (Beisemeyer). The only other change I'm planning of is to add some sort of lift system to lock the station in place better.

The only thing that hasn't worked splendidly is the dust collection. But frankly, I think that's a function of the fact that I'm using a shop vac and not an actual dust collector.

Comment

• ssmith1627
      • Dec 2005
      • Corryton, TN, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'd love to see pictures if you have any to share.

I'm thinking of building it from birch plywood instead of MDF but haven't really decided yet. I don't want to build the thing the same way they have it because I want to use the cast iron wings that I have already. But I do like the overall plan.

Steve

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
        • Dec 2006
        • hagerstown, md

I'd like to see the article as it looks interesting but I dont have the issue
        パトリック
        daiku woodworking
        ^deshi^
        neoshed

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN

Originally posted by ssmith1627
          I'd love to see pictures if you have any to share.

I'm thinking of building it from birch plywood instead of MDF but haven't really decided yet. I don't want to build the thing the same way they have it because I want to use the cast iron wings that I have already. But I do like the overall plan.

Steve
          You know, I was trying to figure out if I wanted to use my cast iron wings or their table... I'm not 100% sure yet, but I figure the table will have enough heft to it without once completed that I won't need the weight of the CI wings. Also, witht he CI wings, it's just one more thing you'll have to align with the saw.

I'll look through my files at home and see if I can't send you some pics.

Comment

• greencat
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Grand Haven Mi

Where do you buy higher grade laminate? Is Lowes better than Menards?
            Thanks again,
            Mike

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I've ordered from these guys before, but it was for a business, I don't know if they will ship to an individual.
              http://www.calpanel.com/

they supply a full line of veneer products and the price was pretty good.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• BigguyZ
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2006
                • Minneapolis, MN

There's a thread in Project Related Questions that I started. I asked about what type of laminate and so forth. I think the consensus was that Ebony Star by Wilsonart was teh stuff to use. But there's a ton of different finishes that it can have, I forget the specific finish number that has the least bit of drag. Anyways, I couldn't find anything like it in stock at ANY of the big box stores. They can special order the Ebony Star pattern, but not the slick finish I wanted. So, long story longer, I was actually able to find out that there's a Wilsonart distributor in my area that sells directly to individuals. And they were MUCH MUCH less expensive than the retailers.

So... yeah. See if you have a distributor in the area. I'll look around the house to see if I can find the specific stock number for the finish you want ( but I think it's also listed in the thread). http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=ebony+star

Comment

Working...