• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Shop layout and pics

My shop is never "final", but it gets closer once in a while, and it's in a fairly good state at the moment. I have yet to build a couple of cabinets, but it's fairly useful at this point so I thought I'd share. Also because of the low traffic lately...

Here was the plan...

Here's the assembly table and jointer...

The SCMS wall...

The bandsaw wall...

The thicknessing wall....

And my table saw/router combo, with DC tucked in....

That's how you shove a huge number of tools into a tiny shop.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • gad5264
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Columbus, Ohio, USA
    • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Looks nice and functional to me. How do you like your Ryobi DP? I just bought one but have not set it up as of yet.
    Grant
    "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

Wow, that is a nice shop. Pretty amazing table saw.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Lookin' good, Keith. Lots of stuff neatly shoehorned into the available space. If the layout has truly settled down, you might consider replacing some of those DC hose runs with hard pipe. I did this when I moved my shop into its current larger quarters, and am astounded at the difference it made.

Oh, and I see one thing in all those pictures that turns me Grizzly Green with envy:

Your shop has a wooden floor.
        Larry

Comment

• jwaterdawg
          • Aug 2005
          • Washington, NC USA
          • JET

Nice looking setup Keith. And timely post too, as I am currently planning my shop space which we should be moving in to in a little over a month. You've given me some good ideas about layout for my space. I didn't see any kind of outfeed table for the TS. Do you have something you use for sheet goods? (Edit): Are you using your assembly table for outfeed support?

Am I right that your assembly table is a torsion box on top of a couple of saw horses? I can see the benefit of that kind of arrangement if you need to move it out of the way for some reason. I'm thinking that would work well for me too.

Thanks for sharing.
          Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• bigdaddyjohn
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Fort Wayne, IN.
            • Jet 10" Contractor

Nice. No tell me about the assembly table top. I like that. What did you do?

Comment

• TheRic
              • Jun 2004
              • West Central Ohio
              • bt3100

I noticed you had many tools on swivel casters. Something that I'm getting ready to do. But been dragging my feet on this, been worried / concerned about the tool moving around a little as I feed things into them.

Do you see/feel much play/movement when you use your tools that are on swivel casters? I would have thought items like jointer, thickness planner, drum sander would move a little as you feed things into it.
              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Very nice, Keith. That's about 10 lbs. of woodworking in a 5 lb. space!

I have similar space, but smaller by 1-2' in each dimension. My elbows would be a lot happier in your setup.

JR
                JR

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                  • Nov 2004
                  • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                  • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by TheRic
                  Do you see/feel much play/movement when you use your tools that are on swivel casters? I would have thought items like jointer, thickness planner, drum sander would move a little as you feed things into it.
                  Ric -
                  I have most of my tools on swivel casters and the only thing that tries to move is my Yorkcraft jointer. But it has under mount casters that need to be released when used because of the tilt. I don't even lower my contractor saw the majority of time unless I'm doing heavy panels.

Comment

• drumpriest
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                    • Powermatic PM 2000

Thanks for all the positive responses, let me see if I can answer some of these questions...

Grant: I like my little drill press. It doesn't get a ton of use, some people use that tool a lot, I don't. Mostly for pens and some other occasional things, like cup holes for doors. I do use it for nice consistent entry holes when doing marquetry, and for that I'd like a deeper press. Can't always use it. Biggest complaint is the tilt mechanism, which requires a wrench (I use a ratchet), would have been nicer to have a good handle system.

jwaterdawg: I usually cut up my sheet goods into more easily handled sections whenever possible. To do this I use 2x4's over 2 saw horses, and the sheet on top of that, my circ saw, freud 40T blade, and a guide. But yes, my assembly table also does double duty as TS outfeed.

jwaterdawg & bigdaddyjohn: The assembly table is in the David Marks style. MDF, 3/4" top and bottom, 1/2" MDF for the internal structure, except the outside most rows and columns, they are 3/4" MDF, then wrapped in 3/4" oak. Built it a couple of years ago, works nicely. keep it waxed. It is currently just sitting on 2 saw horses, but a cabinet for under it is high on my todo list. Trouble is that my "shop furniture" usually takes a back seat to "real" furniture. I have a ton of little things though, that could be better stored. What you don't see is my D4R, my OSS/Belt sander, the jet grinder there under the lathe. A bunch of junk on shelves, etc... Some nice closed storage will help tremendously.

Ric: Everything in the shop is mobile except the lathe, band saw, and scroll saw. And I'm thinking to put the band saw on a mobile base. I have a mobile base under my jointer, and one built into my TS. The others are on casters because I'm cheap. I don't see much movement in my cheaper casters, because they aren't great. I don't typically have to lock them. I get a slight shimmy when first starting up the jointer, but that's it. The drum sander is on nicer rockler casters, and I have to lock those. It'll roll around quite a bit if I don't. Mobile shop is the only way to go, in my opinion. I'd probably still like it with 3 times the space. Never know when something is going to be in the way.

My apologies for this lengthly reply, and thanks again for all the kind comments...
                    Keith Z. Leonard
                    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Lots of nice toys in that playroom!
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...