• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Mid-Summer : Lets Talk Heating

Memorial Day weekend, hotdogs and burgers, apple pie and propane heating. Which does not belong? LOL!

I have been looking at heating alternatives for my shop. One common 30K BTU heater says it runs 144 hours on low using 100 lb tank.

I am used to buying propane per gallon, not per lb. I have an inground 500 gallon tank that we use for heating our home. So, how many gallons is 100lbs? Sounds like this unit would last 6 days on the lowest setting per 100lb tank.

What am I missing? I mean we heat 2600 sq feet to 70 degrees during the winter and only have 500 gallon tank filled every other month or so.
  • dramey
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • Soldotna, AK, USA.

Wow, Jeff, that sounds like too much usage to me. Here in Alaska, I use 500 gallons of fuel oil per winter for 1600 sq ft. I have a detached woodworking shop that is an old quanset hut (round roof) that is 16 x 28 that I am insulating and I am going to install a Modine Hot Dawg heater that runs off Propane. It has a seperate combustion chamber so there is no fire risk with saw dust and it draws air from the outside and exhausts fumes to the outside.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

I've looked at the Modines. I have heard that the Mr. Heater brand units are identical, yet cheaper.

I am wondering if I would be better off with a mini-split unit. Anyone running a mini-split? I see them for $800 - $1000.

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
        Memorial Day weekend, hotdogs and burgers, apple pie and propane heating. Which does not belong? LOL!

I have been looking at heating alternatives for my shop. One common 30K BTU heater says it runs 144 hours on low using 100 lb tank.

I am used to buying propane per gallon, not per lb. I have an inground 500 gallon tank that we use for heating our home. So, how many gallons is 100lbs? Sounds like this unit would last 6 days on the lowest setting per 100lb tank.

What am I missing? I mean we heat 2600 sq feet to 70 degrees during the winter and only have 500 gallon tank filled every other month or so.

Just googled it for you. LPG(propane) is about half the weight of water which means that 100lbs is about 24gallon. So your 500 gallon tank would last about 500 divide by 24 is approx. 21, multiply that by 144hrs = 3024hrs divide by 24hrs = 126 days.

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Thanks.

So, this small heater, running on the lowest setting is going to use 500 gallons in 126 days. Something doesn't seem right about this. Oh, well I need to look at something like the Modine or Mr. Heater.

Here is one of the Mr. Heater/Modine units on Ebay. Much cheaper than buying Hot Dawg from Modine dealer . . . .
          http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Propane-2-3-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

• dramey
            Forum Newbie
            • Oct 2005
            • Soldotna, AK, USA.

Jeff, I don't think that unit on E-bay has the seperate combustion chamber. The seperate combustion chamber raises the price here in Alaska about $300-400 but it keeps the flame away from the ambient air, so dust, fumes, etc can not ignite.

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Jeffrey,

I stuck a pellet stove in my shop last year. Keeps everything nice and warm.

Comment

• dramey
                Forum Newbie
                • Oct 2005
                • Soldotna, AK, USA.

I checked on the Mr. Heater and I will buy the Modine Hot Dawg because the Mr. Heater uses inside air for combustion and the Modine Hot Dawg can be bought using outside air for combustion. I prefer outside air fo combustion myself as I believe the Modine is safer to use in a wood shop as the combustion chamber is not directly exposed to the sawdust and finishing fumes of a wood shop.
                Last edited by dramey; 05-30-2007, 03:12 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by dramey
                  I checked on the Mr. Heater and I will buy the Modine Hot Dawg because the Mr. Heater uses inside air for combustion and the Modine Hot Dawg can be bought using outside air for combustion. I prefer outside air fo combustion myself as I believe the Modine is safer to use in a wood shop as the combustion chamber is not directly exposed to the sawdust and finishing fumes of a wood shop.
                  Mr. Heater has both options.

Comment

• dramey
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Soldotna, AK, USA.

Jeff
                    I am not doubting you, but can you send me a link to confirm this.

I just read the manual, the specs brochure and the web site and could not find this at all. The only thing I could find was 4 models, 2 models of 45k BTU and 2 models of 75k BTU and the only difference between the 2 models of 45k or 75k was natural gas or propane. The ducting you can buy from them is only for exhaust.

The Modine has ducting that brings in air from outside and exhausts to the outside. Modine plainly states that they have a seperate combustion chamber to use outside air for combustion.

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

Here in Mississippi, summer heat is more of a concern than winter cold. I was just curious - anyone running A/C in their shop? Looking at putting a small window unit 110V in my 12'X20' shop. I'm fortunate in that I have shade from a large oak and maple for most of the day, but, man, that humidity!
                      - Chris.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Humidity is bad here too (though not as bad as there I am sure).

A lot of folks use window units either in windows or in cut out of wall. I know Circuit City had a popular one on sale a couple weeks ago.

I am seriously thinking about a split system at this point. I know I'll need heat and AC, so that seems like the way to go. 1/2 ton split with heat pump and AC is less than $1000.

dramey, it is fine to doubt me cause I make a lot of stuff up! lol! Seriously, it appears that Mr Heater has changed line up. They used to have 4 BTU option, LP or NG option and seperate or exposed combustion. After looking at Hot Dawg prices online, it seems they are close to Mr Heater anyway.

Comment

• dramey
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2005
                          • Soldotna, AK, USA.

Thanks Jeff,
                          I thought maybe I was missing something obvious again. LOL

Comment

Working...