• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Shop Layouts - Comparisons/Ideas

I like the thread that Gary started on shop layout and the response it has gotten. It inspired me to use the Grizzly shop planning to layout my current set up. I think it would be cool if a lot of folks did this and posted in this thread. This could create a great reference for others.
    There does not seem to be a way to export the file from Grizzlys site, so I just hit the screen print button and dumped the image into Photoshop where I was able to add text etc.
    As you can see in my layout, I have a huge problem. That huge problem is those large green areas. When we built our house 7 years ago we finished the basement with kitchen, bath, 2 bedrooms. living room, etc and my inlaws live there. The detached garage was initially meant to be for them. When I got into woodworking I took it over! They now park their car in one of our attached garage bays. So that gave me some room initially. The problem is the areas that I have marked in green. Lawn equipment storage, storage of personal property items of inlaws take up a huge portion of the left wall. My FIL also built a bench out of 2 x 8 material that takes up a large portion of the right wall. This bench makes access to the breaker box difficult and use of the window difficult.
    My goal this Summer is to build an addition or buy a 14 x 24 single car garage to attach or put next to the current shop. This would get all of the non-woodworking stuff out of the shop, including the built in bench. I believe with that change I could actually turn around in my shop.

• Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Here's mine at the moment .... soon to change (again) tho'

Click image for larger version

Name:	shop2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	781217
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• burrellski
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Saint Joseph, MO.

Here's my current layout, going clockwise around the room. The mortiser on the left is actually my CMS station. I couldn't seem to find a CMS on grizzly's planner. Craftsman 10" Rikon style bandsaw and Delta benchtop drill press on mobile cabinets. Then a Craftsman tool chest. Top right corner is a 6' x 6' countertop on a simple 2x4 base. Next to that is HF DC w/Wynn cartridge and Delta 37-196 jointer. BT3100 in the middle with an AP1300 that stores under the bench when not is use. The 8'x10' area is not usable shop space (water heater, heat pump, stub-in for soon to be bathroom, etc...) but it does allow me room to rip/joint longer lumber. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as it seems I am constantly moving things around trying to improve on the layout.

Looking forward to seeing other's layouts.

Matt
      Attached Files

Comment

• GaryA
        Established Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Tampa, FL, USA.

OK...lets see if this works. Shop still in re-organizing phase...still not clear what I'm doing for an outfeed/workbench/assembly (all-in one?)...the space is pretty tight....
        Attached Files
        Gary

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

Here's my proposed layout. Once I get the crap out of the garage and finish off the basement
          Attached Files
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

• wan2fly
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007
            • San Francisco Bay area
            • Craftsman 21829

Where can I get that shop layout program?

Hey, nice work and nice shop plans.
            Where can I get that layout tool?
            I went to Grizzly products and couldn't find it.
            Is it hidden somewhere?
            Thanks very much
            A tool FOR every Job,
            and
            A tool FROM every job

Comment

• Stan
              • Mar 2004
              • Kalispell, MT, USA.
              • BT3100, Delta 36-717

Originally posted by wan2fly
              Hey, nice work and nice shop plans.
              Where can I get that layout tool?
              I went to Grizzly products and couldn't find it.
              Is it hidden somewhere?
              Thanks very much
              wan2fly,
              Just go to http://www.grizzly.com and look at the menu selections on the left side of the page. You'll see a menu item at the bottom of the list labeled "Build your Dream Shop online with the Grizzly Interactive WORKSHOP PLANNER".

Click on that selection, on the next page you'll see a launch button. Requires the Flash Player, and has a link on that page also if you don't already have Flash.
              From the NW corner of Montana.
              http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
                • Dec 2006
                • hagerstown, md

Hopefully you were just after a plan like everyone else did.

I did mine with Sketchup which you can get for free....but I dont think you'll be able to do the image like I showedas I have the paid for version.
                パトリック
                daiku woodworking
                ^deshi^
                neoshed

Comment

• Slik Geek
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Lake County, Illinois
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

In lieu of labels...

The rectangle at the bottom represents my sliding miter saw, the larger rectangle nearby is the workbench. The center right rectangle is the furnace. At the top, the apparent open space contains non-shop related storage and furniture.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• LarryG
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2004
                    • Off The Back
                    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

As I've mentioned several times in various threads, I've been in the process of moving my shop into a larger building. The move is now complete and the new shop is fully operational. Here's the layout:

For scale, the building is 22' x 24'.

I already have some changes and enhancements planned:

1. The miter saw bench does not yet exist; I currently have the CMS on a temporary bench. Building the new one is my top priority for this new shop.

2. The router table is going to move into a new extension wing that I'm going to build for the cabinet saw. This is a high priority for the shop, but actual projects (i.e., non-shop) that I need to get cracking on will delay it for a while.

3. Finally, I'll eventually build a pseudo-traditional woodworking workbench that will go where the router table is now. This will almost certainly not happen until sometime next year.

BTW, wood storage is elsewhere. Also, regarding the row of doubled circles down the center on the shop ... the three smaller circles are pipe columns that support the roof; the larger circles are drops for the DC system.
                    Larry

Comment

• dlminehart
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • San Jose, CA, USA.

Wow, Larry. I've got a bad case of space envy!
                      - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• ryan.s
                        • Feb 2006
                        • So Cal
                        • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks to this thread and others I was finally able to finish the shop layout tonight. It took a few days but I think I got it to where it should be, at least I'll try it for a while and make any changes if needed. Keep in mind the shop is not set up yet but it will be soon, still a lot of arranging to do. Until recently I was only using half the space in the converted garage. I had couches and a TV in there but the LOML gave the okay to convert into a fully dedicated shop.. woohoo!. With full use of the space I am still in need of more space so you can imagine how it was before. Now I need to start building some cabinets.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• drumpriest
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                          • Powermatic PM 2000

Hmm.....what would I do with all of that room???
                          Keith Z. Leonard
                          Go Steelers!

Comment

• jcrenick
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Virginia.

Oh to have the space of a two car garage... I wouldn't know what to do with the space. The main limitation is when I have a large project underway. Or running large sheets through the table saw. Otherwise it is less space to clean up.

One huge space saver for me is that my miter saw, mortiser and drill press all share the same table. I made it so all three can co-exist without having to move to use them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...