• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Considering a change in DC routing

Well, the shop is completely disassebled while I am systematically painting the floor with Dura-Cote. Thinking ahead to my soon-to-be construced CMS/ RAS table. At issue is the DCs main duct run. It runs 12" from floor to centerline along the same 24' wall where the 10' table will be mounted. I initially mounted the line there so that it's exactly in line with the DC port and all dust will 'fall' to that level, producing less gravitational load than going to the ceiling. So far, no issues - I have a cleanout on the one end. I'm thinking about dropping this line to the floor and simply attaching the back wall of the table and its cabinet to the wall above the duct line rather than using legs on the back.

Two questions; 1) Am I missing anything in this plan? 2) Am I really saving anything by dropping the line to the floor? I'm about 60/40 against doing it.

Look forward to the astute and incredibly logical, well thought out opinions of the group (ending kiss up - LOL).

TIA,
    Chiz
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Is the wall strong enough to support a cantilevered design? You could mount the workstation to the wall, above the DC pipe, and skip front _and_ back legs.

If you don't like that idea, go ahead and drop the pipe. Gravity is no match for a DC (unless you're severely CFM challenged).

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Originally posted by cgallery
      . Gravity is no match for a DC (unless you're severely CFM challenged).
      Yeah, if you're concerned that the DC won't pick up 12" rise, just lose that idea right now.

My setup runs from the DC right up to the ceiling, then two main lines along ceiling, dropping down to the tools. No problem at all picking everything up.

JR
      JR

Comment

Working...