• Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Kirby’s Shed: 8. Assembly tables+

Click image for larger version

Name:	ks08Plan.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	790554

Where it all comes together:

The Ryobi one on the left was on sale at our last WW Show - about US$30 Didn't need it but couldn't pass it up
    My base (needed to be moveable), and top (don't like bare metal surfaces -other than the Table saw).

Name:	ks0801.jpg
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	790555Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0803.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	790556

The one on the right is from ShopNotes #30. VERY useful - the height adjustment makes it very versatile - has even been used for Quilting activities - at reasonable rental rates of course Worth the 4 days it took to build. 95% 3/4" MDF - so there!

Name:	ks0802.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	790557Click image for larger version

Name:	AssTbl0001.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	790558

I made the top for this because it doesn't get much use - but great when needed! An Oz badged JET I think (?). The blue donut is my version of a DC adapter (MDF of course! laminated 2 x 3/4").

Name:	ks0804.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	790559Click image for larger version

Name:	ks0805.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	790560
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Darn, wish I'd thought of renting some of my shop cabinets before I built the combo storage cabinet/cuting table for my wife's quilting room

I have really enjoyed seeing your shed pics, even though I don't have room for much more in my small shop it's still been inspirational .

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• TheRic
      • Jun 2004
      • West Central Ohio
      • bt3100

Originally posted by RodKirby
      The one on the right is from ShopNotes #30. VERY useful - the height adjustment makes it very versatile - has even been used for Quilting activities - at reasonable rental rates of course Worth the 4 days it took to build. 95% 3/4" MDF - so there!
      Where do you get most of your ideas for jigs, tables, cabinets, etc?

I made the top for this because it doesn't get much use - but great when needed! An Oz badged JET I think (?).
      It's a what??!!

The blue donut is my version of a DC adapter (MDF of course! laminated 2 x 3/4").
      Can I get a better look at it? How well does it work?
      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Ric:

Ideas? From "everywhere" the Forum, books, magazines, WW Shows, and some just seem to pop into my head I've commented before - I seem to be lucky enough to be able to imagine things in 3D, so there often a big gap between the "idea" and the real thing - think time.

The other big source is "necessity". If I need to do something more than once, or, something needs to be "spot-on" accurate; I'll make a jig! Some jigs last for "the job", others get painted and hang on the wall

Oz badged JET: I buy my (heavy) power tools from an Oz company called Carba-tek This OSS has their badge on it. It looks identical to the JET (USA?) brand.

DC adapter - works perfectly - pic to come...

Comment

• GaryA
          Established Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Tampa, FL, USA.

Wow...that adjustable assembly table is incredible Rod! Being adjustable, are you sacrificing much stability?

Anyone know how I can get a copy of that article from Shopnotes #30? I'd really like the whole article. Doesnt look like they go back that far on back issues or being able to buy it online?? I just started subscribing. Thanks!
          Gary

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Try this...

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=Shopnotes

Comment

• GaryA
              Established Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Tampa, FL, USA.

Perfect...thanks Rod...PM sent!
              Gary

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Rod,

You sent me a copy of the plans a while back and I now need to consider a combination assembly/outfeed table to go with my new saw. Like Gary, I'd be interested in knowing how stable your assembly table is. I'd also be interested in opinions on using 3/4" plywood instead of MDF. I don't have great dust collection in my shop and it just seems like machining MDF creates a lot more really fine dust compared with wood. I probably have enough 3.4" ply cutoffs to make all parts except the top and leaves.

Comment

• RodKirby
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by jackellis
                  Rod,

You sent me a copy of the plans a while back and I now need to consider a combination assembly/outfeed table to go with my new saw. Like Gary, I'd be interested in knowing how stable your assembly table is. I'd also be interested in opinions on using 3/4" plywood instead of MDF. I don't have great dust collection in my shop and it just seems like machining MDF creates a lot more really fine dust compared with wood. I probably have enough 3.4" ply cutoffs to make all parts except the top and leaves.
                  Hmmmmmmm...

Stability? I wouldn't try a running jump onto it, but, having said that; all that MDF has a lot of weight. The 4 inner supports ("laminated" 2 x 3/4 - with the holes), are VERY strong. And the top is VERY heavy. As well, I made sure the outer supports are only about 1/32" larger all around to minimize "slop".

I move it around a fair bit and there is no discernable racking or sideways movement. I think it would be fine as an outfeed table - locking castors essential.

Plywood? You would get the strength without the weight. I guess it should still be OK.

I'm sounding hesitant because this is the first time I've "felt" that MDF is the "right" material for this item.

Let's see what others think...

Comment

• Popeye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Woodbine, Ga
                    • Grizzly 1023SL

Hey Rod,
                    Thanks..... I think.... I had a small low assembly table that I've used for years. Recently I had to give it up for use as a bench for the OSS and Belt/disc sander. This puppy looks to fill the bill much better even than my much liked old table. Fortunatly I have have Issue 30. Now to go to work. Pat
                    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Slik Geek
                      • Dec 2006
                      • Lake County, Illinois
                      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by jackellis
                      Rod,

it just seems like machining MDF creates a lot more really fine dust compared with wood.
                      Hence the popular suspicion that the shop pictured in Rod's posts is just the trophy facility (No visible dust). The real work of making countless jigs and furniture items has to be done elsewhere, surely by someone else so Rod has time to make so many posts on this site!

Comment

• JeremyM
                        Established Member
                        • May 2004

Hi Rod,

Thanks for telling us about your tables.

PM sent.

Thanks,
                        Jeremy

Comment

• RodKirby
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Originally posted by JeremyM
                          Hi Rod,

Thanks for telling us about your tables.

PM sent.

Thanks,
                          Jeremy
                          Sent67890

Comment

Working...